Preserving Deer Antlers

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
I am in the final stages of building a new cottage (very excited) and am beginning to think about decor, both inside and out to add character. It is log sided and I have a dormer style post and beam covered entry. I have a HUGE set of whitetail deer antlers (10 point, 22 inch spread, super thick tines) that I cut off an old shoulder mount that was completely falling apart. My Grandfather shot the deer in Michigans upper peninsula. Anyway, I would like to mount the antlers outside, under the peak of the dormer. I don't want them to bleach out and was wondering if there was some sort of preservative that I could put on them to keep them looking natural and deter the squirrels and other critters from chewing on them. I was considering several coats of low gloss polyurethane, but am just not sure.

*On a side note (heads up u Michigan fellas..!), it will be available for vacation rentals. It's located right on Lake Margrethe in Grayling. Incredible walleye and smallmouth fishing, decent largemouth and pike and the opportunity for tiger and great lakes muskie. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING SPRING SPAWN SMALLIE FISHING..! Brand new everything, 1300 sq feet, 2 story log sided, 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, washer/dryer, full kitchen, gas fireplace, covered front porch right on the water, wired for tunes both inside and out, dock space for your rigs, sleeps 10, maybe a few more if you REALLY like each other, ample parking. And I'm currently trying to squeeze a kegerator into the kitchen layout...!(Bring your own keg...!)

Give them a good rub with oak stain, then an acrylic finish. you should be good to go.

+1 on Marty's suggestion.

Sounds like a GREAT place Smitty,.....I'll be talking to you about renting it for a week for a family vacation. Sounds like a perfect place for an MVM too!! :wub:

Let me give you some heads up on the antlers. I did this not thinking about rats and squirrels. They started eating the antlers that were hung outside. Watch for this.

Latest posts

Back