Powering a bow sonar

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a 2010 Targa V17 with a bow mounted 12v Minnkota trolling motor. I’m adding a Lowrance elite ti2 7” sonar to the bow to pair wirelessly with my 9” unit at the helm. My question is how to power it up. Do I need to run a cable all the way back to the cranking motor in the stern or can I use the trolling motor battery under the helm? Alternatively can I utilize the existing power at the bow that powers a 12v outlet? The supplied power cable is short so if I have to go more than 3’ or so I’ll have to splice into a longer cable. In any case I’ll wire in the supplied fuse to the positive side.

Hook it up to the main Battery. If hooked up to the trolling motor Battery the unit may shut off during a day of fishing as the battery depletes. There should be a power and ground wire from the main battery already in the front.

Concur. I removed the panel in the bow holding the switches for the motor trim and aerator as well as the TM power plug and fishing tackle storage bins. This gave me easy access to the wiring bundles for those switches as well as the 12v courtesy receptacle that is installed in the area. The panel trim/aerator/TM bundle came up to the bow in one wrap while the 12v receptacle was in another. I could not find any unused pre-wire runs for a sonar unit. Reading elsewhere to avoid wiring to the TM battery, I opted to tie in to the 12v courtesy circuit as the sonar unit is rated at only 0.9 amps and this circuit runs from the main panel powered by the cranking battery. It is double-fused in this setup as i went ahead and installed the provided 3A fuse with the sonar unit but that isn't an issue. Been running this way for a week with no issue.

Latest posts

Back