power pro line

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene B

Reaction score
Anyone use Power Pro on a baitcasting reel, or is it like most other braids that will imbed itself in the line on the spool and make the next cast backlash? I'm going to try it on a couple spinning rods, just not sure if I shoould waste it on a baitcaster.

Gene

I started using last year, I even use it on a spinning for shottin, works really well on both so far:D

I've used it for several years only on baitcast and have never had that experiance. I f you ajust your drag and braking for the line , you should be fine. I use it primarely for flippin or pitch'n into heavy cover or were you you need to bust through with 1/2 to 1 oz. weight. I think its great but you have to be careful setting the hook.

I'm no expert other than in my mind! :lol:

Mark

I've used 30# PP for years for pitching and flipping and just last year I added a rod with 45# for fishing frogs and rattletraps in the weeds. PP is round so it won't embed itself as bad as other flat braids. The only time I experience what you're talking about is when I set the hook on a tree stump but then I know to pull off a little line to make everything okay for the retrieve...no big deal. The other little quirk with any braided line that is annoying is that in the wind it will get wrapped around your rod tip. You just have to be conscious of it and shake it out before you cast. The good news is you will feel every fish fart and you'll be able to retrieve about 99% of your hangups and one spool lasts a lifetime.

I guess I'm just old school but I just don't get using braid on a spinning reel:unsure:. It seems to me that spinning reels are strictly for the light stuff...6 or 8 lb fluorocarbon on a buggy whip...braid is the heavy duty power tool for winching the bass out of the tough stuff, and that means baitcasting reels. That's just the way I see it...I could be wrong. ;)

Harpo

Gene

I switched from Spider Wire to Power Pro last year and really like it. I only have used braided line on baitcasters and it works great. Ditto on Mark's entry for when I use it.

Paul

I used the PP for two years. I liked it alot for flippin, and carolina rig with a mono leader.

This year I thought Id give the Stren Super braid a try. It looks like they have taken some tips and the line seems to be round. My reels are spooled and I will give it a try this weekend.

If it is no good, Ill be back on the PP wagon.

FROM THE STREN PAGE:

Stren

sooner, I see yer point, but my dad tried usin braid on spinning cuz of gettin tired of loosin big fish in 30 ft of water on a sunken structure, usin drop shots, so he tried and it worked great, and then I tried it and it workd great, we still finess, but the line is now braid

I use power pro on my fliping sticks and i really like it a lot. Its very good line.

I also like to use braid on my C-rig rods but powerpro seems to cut more in the rocks then the original spiderwire i use. The areas i c-rig for smallies are loaded with rock and it was a problem for me breaking off all the time.

Stren Braid is good too.

PowerPro is awesome. I guess if you never fished for smallies on zebra mussel infested rocks in 30 feet of water you wouldnt need to use it on spinning gear....you can do that with a baitcaster too.

I am going to be trying the new ExcelBraid by BPS this year. I also will be using MagiBraid (saltwater catalog).

Mini

Hay Mike what pound test are you and your dad using on your spinning rigs ?

Mark G

Mini let me know how you like the BPS braid. Im lookingfor something in place of the Spiderwire i normall use on my C-rig gear. The original spider has become all but impossible to find these days :(

Will do. I have a 1500 yd spool of the MagiBraid at home in 6lb dia. I will be ordering the ExcelBraid in the next week or so.

Mini

I use power pro super 10 pound test on the spinning rods, and 30 on the baitcaster, let me tell ya I also tried throwin a zara spook on that line with a spinning, WOW I must have chucked her 20 miles...........

Thanks guys, I'll be giving it a try.

Gene

Latest posts

Back