Power Pole/talon

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jscott93

Reaction score
I’m ordering a z18 soon. Trying to decide between power pole or talon and if a single will be enough or do I really need two?

Hey, Jscott93.

I did quite a bit of research on this question, including, without limitation, speaking with some really experienced "boat guys" and it really comes down to personal choice, based on, among other things, mechanics (electric + hydro for Power Poles; electric only for Talons), installation (Talons don't require hydraulic pump and, therefore, require less installation and you don't need additional interior room), manner of deployment (Talons deploy straight down), weight (Talons weigh more), noise (Talons are a little louder), colour selection, aesthetics, etc..

I ultimately went with Talons based mainly on mechanics, installation and deployment.

In terms of number, I went with 2 Talons based on sound advice: one anchor is enough to stop your boat from being blown/pushed off a position by wind/current, but your boat will still swing, as the single anchor will act as a pivot point. 2 Anchors will lock you in position with no swing.

One final thought. I ran into a major issue with installation, as the 2018 design of my boat (Z19 Sport) can't accommodate the angle of jack plate adapter brackets. After working with Bass Pro Shops and Minn Kota, we were able to devise a pretty creative solution to the problem, but stress levels were, certainly, high! I posted the applicable details here (https://www.nitroowners.com/threads/power-pole-compatibility.84194/), so that members of this forum can have a heads-up and avoid the stress that I went through.

I hope that this helps!

Hey, Jscott93.

I just posted an update to my original thread, which will shed some light on your decision to get shallow water anchors. I checked and the issues with my Z19 Sport are not just with the Talon mounting brackets, but for the Power Poles too.

In any event, check out my updated thread:

https://www.nitroowners.com/threads/power-pole-compatibility.84194/

I hope that this all helps you.

Latest posts

Back