Pond scum on my boat!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Paul

Reaction score
What is the best cleaner to use to clean the scummy waterline stain off my white jellcoat. I've tried Murphys oil soap, rubbing compound, even a little 3812(Dupont enamel reducer) and nothing seems to touch it! Help!

starbrite makes a product called hull cleaner that should get it off, they sell it at walmart. my last boat was white and ehat i did was i wiped it down every trip out and the scumline was never a problem, also keeping a good coat of wax on it helps prevent it.

I used Simple Green, hot water, and a big ol' brush. Worked pretty good. The Simple Green smells great. I sprayed an area...let it soak for a minute and then attack with the brush, rinse and admire.

Harpo

I use regular car wash soap. I try not to let it go more than 2 or 3 trips without washing the boat, depending on how much is on it. I also use 3M Clean and Shine Wax about once a month. Spray on/wipe off.

Bob G.

I have Simple Green but Bass Pro sells a Heavy Duty cleaner for hulls and it has yet to fail to get something of the fiberglass.

Thanks for the replies but I've tried everything you mentioned exept the starbrite. From the waterline down its a brownish/greenish color. I noticed it last year when I pulled it out of a lake after fishing one day and wiped it with my hand, now the only place thats not discolored is where I wiped it(I know I should have wiped it down right away but thought I could wash it off at home, by then it was dry)It seems to be more of a stain than scum built up on the outside of the hull. From compounds,cleaners to chemicals I can't find anything in my shop that will touch it.I might have to take the fenders off my trailer and just try to buff it out. Any more ideas? Thanks

try the starbrite stuff, im still amazed at how well that stuff works. my father bought a fish and ski a few years back the previous owner never took it out of the water and it had a mighty scumline on it. he tried every household cleaner known to man on that thing to no avail. i brought him some of the starbrite cleaner i had and it took it right off like it was nothing. the stuff is a mild acid and it will eat thru the scum like nothing ive ever seen.

Glissen is the best product I have ever seen as far as cleaning a boat and getting stains out. They sponsor our tournament circuit. Here is the link. Try it you won't be dissappointed. KENNY
http://www.glissen.com/

I use regular glass cleaner, the kind that foams when you spay it on. I does a very good job of removing the stains. It will however remove wax also.

RoyC

I use clean water and rag off the boat as soon as I leave the water. The Potomac IS NASTY water and if you do not do this you will have a 1/2" think scum line in no time. This past weekend there was fuel and exhaust plus the scum line on the boat and I used some kind of orange smelling stuff that is a degreaser household cleaner and that took the fuel/exhaust line off.

Carlos

Mike, do you have an electric buffer? It might help. I got a pretty decent one at Wal-Mart for around 25 bucks. I would think that some rubbing compound on a terry cloth buffer pad should take off just about anything.

Good luck!

Harpo

Thanks for the ideas guys

Soonerfan; Yes I have a nice variable speed Milwaukee buffer from back in my body shop days and I tried a small spot with a mild compound this morning, took it right off. while I'm at it I'll give the whole boat a light buff job(I know don't buff through the gellcoat), Just have to figure out how to get behind the tandem fenders. From now on it gets wipe down at the launch!

Cool! didn't realize you were an old pro. I'll bet your Milwaukee will run circles around my little Wally World buffer.

Do be carful with that gel-coat. I remember from my car business days, the guys having to be extra cautious on Vettes (just an upside down boat).

When I buffed the Super Soaker, I took the side bunks off but had to leave dull spots around the fenders. :>(

Harpo

Have you tried viniger and water?? Supposed to work real good.

BF

Latest posts

Back