Plug that Hole!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Perry

Reaction score
Hey guys

I have to move my fish finder from the rear of the boat to the front trolling motor. I have two holes that leak water. I am able to bilge it out....but what a drag. Anyone have a recommendation on what to use for fill. the hull is aluminum

Thanks

Jason

just put a screw back in the hole...goop it up with silicone and it should stop the leak and you can still put a transducer back if you want one day.

mike c

another option is to buy a second transducer and mount it on the troller than move the depth finder when you want or need to.

If you want a permanent fix, I have used both JB Weld and the two-part putty that comes in a stick form. Either will work, but the JB WEeld tends to run a little bit more. Lightly sand the area, then tape off for a neater look. Force the mixture into the hole with a straight-edge, then taper it onto the transom. Let it sit for a few minutes, then you can smooth the plug lightly with a wet finger or putty knife. Let it dry over night, then you're good to go.

Yeah, might putty is one name brand. I get it at Home Depot in the glue section, super easy to use and works great.

Waterweld (made by JB Weld). I had two holes in my G3 when I switched out transducers and used this stuff to seal those holes up.

Waterweld is a two part putty that's wrapped with cellophane and stored in a plastic sleeve. You cut off what you need, remove the cellophane and knead the two types of putty until the color is uniform. Then press it into the hole from inside AND outside of the bilge. Smooth it out by hand and let dry. It will form a permanent, sandable seal. It helps to flare it out on either side of the bilge. I ended up sanding mine smooth on the outside, then used touch up paint over it and the surrounding aluminum. Two years and not a drop.

Latest posts

Back