Plug for SAR teams

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Just had dinner last night with a good friend of mine from Missouri. He's with the Missouri Search and Rescue team. Turns out that he was in Ohio with a bunch of the SAR folks from Fairfax, Virginia (the Fairfax Urban SAR Unit). They cut their dog training sessions short after Katrina hit. Half of my buddy's unit deployed immediately (the other half stays back so they can rotate out every ten days). He came east to the Northern Virginia area and brought two of the Fairfax guys with him. Fairfax SAR got sent out a few days ago. He's now heading back to Missouri to hook up with his unit so he can catch the next rotation into New Orleans. The amazing thing that he told me was that every single SAR team in the United States is heading down to Louisiana and Mississippi to help with rescue and relief misisons. Teams from as far away as California are down there. This has NEVER been done before. AND those teams were in place and on the ground in a matter of a couple of days. Gotta love the dedication of these woefully underpaid public servants. Now if only the rest of the federal government can get its act together . . .

JC

JC,

Who's your friend on MO-TF1?? Im a member up here and might know him. We're all in a holding pattern, believe theres a chance that we'll send another team down here in about 3 days, maybe Ill see him out there.

Josh

I have to agree. The USAR teams have a pretty tough job ahead of them. Two people from my area are there now with PA-TF1 and a second group may be going shortly. Today at work we began coordination for additional persons to go from our area at the direction of FEMA. Tomorrow, 80 ambulances from PA are supposed to leave. Needless to say, they need a lot of help in the disaster area.

Hey Mid Mo - my buddy's name is Lee. Not going to post his full identity on a public board without his okay, but he's got two dogs. One's a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. The other's an Australian Shepherd. Know him? He was also at ground zero after 9-11 helping to recover bodies. Still doesn't say much about it to this day and I don't ask.

JC,

I most definitely know him, very good guy. Ill have to mention it to him the next time I see him.

Josh

Josh - Cool!! Small world, huh? Please feel free to mention that Barney and Bailey's dad was boasting about the good he does in the world.

JC

Latest posts

Back