Planes, trains and Automobiles - I lived it!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
I had a trip to Birmingham this past weekend (to join my wife who drove over a week in advance). Since I was going to drive her back home yesterday, the trick was getting me there on Friday for the reunion dinner, without having to spend a fortune.

So . . .

I booked a one-way advance purchase Greyhound fare for $48.00. Schedule was depart Charlotte on Friday morning at 6:50AM, arrive in Birmingham around 2:30PM (with a 45 minute layover/bus change in Atlanta).

This was what happened:

2 Bus Stations

2 Airport Terminals

1 Light Rail line

1 Rental car

Basically, we didn't leave Charlotte till 7:40AM, and after the requried stops at Wendy's in Spartanburg; Greenville SC bus station; Truck stop at Royston GA, we arrived in Atlanta at 12:55PM. My Birmingham bus left at 12:45PM (not late, but on time). Next bus to B'ham leaves at 6:00PM - or I could ride to Mongomery AL and catch a bus back up to B'ham.

Walked over to the MARTA terminal and paid $1.50 for a trip to Atlanta Airport. Went into the airport where I rented a compact (Sunfire) to drive to B'ham. Car rental cost for 1 day was $30.00 - drop off charge was $60.00 - $104.00 total.

Drove from Atlanta to B'ham airport and turned it in. Got picked up and finally made the reunion around 6:00PM.

When I got there, one of the 'cousins' came up and said, 'wish that I would have known you were in Atlanta and needed a ride. I could have come by the bus station, picked you up and saved you the trouble'. Other 'cousin' knew this, but wouldn't give my wife the number so that we could call him.

In finishing up, I'd suggest that anyone that would really like to experience a slice of 'Americana', take a bus trip somewhere. It was a learning experience. Most people on the bus were very nice, and enjoyed a 'comradire' of sorts. The lady next to me got on in NYC, and was travelling to San Antonio to visit her grandson in the service. She was due to arrive in San Antionio Saturday morning around 10:00AM!

I'll now mark off 'take greyhound bus trip' from my top 1000 things I want to accomplish, before I pass on.

Tex

Just be glad you didn't get caught in the weekend race traffic from talledaga. That would be a true nightmare.

Jeff Gordon got lucky...Jr. would have passed him in a couple more laps to take the win!!!!

Wolf

Hell JR was in the process of passing him when the yellow flag came out.....if the yellow would have came out 10 seconds later JR would have passed him.

Texas sorry to hear about your troubles...but you got there in one piece that is the main thing.

Speaking of the race.

It is not uncommon that the RV and Trailer set of folks that go to NASCAR events, travel home on Monday. Quite a few leaving Talledega heading both East and West.

Just outside Birmingham, was a pretty good wreck that had I20 closed. From there, almost back to the track, was a solid stream of two lanes of 18 wheelers, RV's, Trailers and such trying to go east. By my count, I drove west at about 60mph for around 25-20 minutes. I'm guessing that some of those folks are still waiting for the traffic to return to normal.

Tex

Tex - OK now I understand your upset/frantic call on Friday about Bus, airport, and rental car!!! LOL

Man, you just needed John Candy to make the trip just like the movie! LOL

Latest posts

Back