plane problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Murray

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Nitro 700 LX which takes a very long time to plane off . Wondering if I have a high speed prop which was on the Nitro when i purchased it. I don't know the pitch but it is a stainless three blade prop that is swept back quite a bit. Nitro is 17'0 with a 115 merc tracker. Any ideas would be appreciated. Don't mind losing top end speed for quicker plane.

Mine did as well, have you tried a hydrofoil attachment. I seen those on some smaller boats, may be cheaper than a new prop.

I have a 1998 Nitro 700 LX which takes a very long time to plane off . Wondering if I have a high speed prop which was on the Nitro when i purchased it. I don't know the pitch but it is a stainless three blade prop that is swept back quite a bit. Nitro is 17'0 with a 115 merc tracker. Any ideas would be appreciated. Don't mind losing top end speed for quicker plane.
I. Have a 99 with same problem installed hydrofoil minimal help,i have 23 pith prop wonder what pith it should have mine is 18 ft with 150 hp engine any suggestion

Well, my Z6 has that issue and I'm slowly learning. One thing an experienced individual told me is to "Up trim" on take off......BTW: My local (85 miles away) Marine Service center told me to correct the "Right Lean" is to add 60 lbs to the left side. It didn't work.

Changing the pitch to your prop will correct your slow hole shot getting on plane...the trade off is a reduction in top end speed. You may consider lightening the load by switching to lithium ion batteries but that may be more expense than some folks are willing to accept.

A jack plate may be another idea. This will put your motor in cleaner water.

I have a 1999 700LX. I had the same issue with both getting up on plane quickly and porpoising. I installed the DoelFin hydrofoil and it solved both problems and provided much more responsive steering. I have a 3-blade 23” SS prop with the original Merc/Tracker 90 ELPTO. Top end speed moderately loaded with just myself in the boat is 52 mph at WOT. My cruising speed at 75% throttle is a comfortable 40 mph. I do not regret installing the hydrofoil for one second. A much less expensive solution for a boat of this size than a jack plate IMO.

I have a 1999 700LX. I had the same issue with both getting up on plane quickly and porpoising. I installed the DoelFin hydrofoil and it solved both problems and provided much more responsive steering. I have a 3-blade 23” SS prop with the original Merc/Tracker 90 ELPTO. Top end speed moderately loaded with just myself in the boat is 52 mph at WOT. My cruising speed at 75% throttle is a comfortable 40 mph. I do not regret installing the hydrofoil for one second. A much less expensive solution for a boat of this size than a jack plate IMO.

I will agree with you on the hydrafoil, just throwing the jack plates out as another option

A hydraulic jack plate is outstanding! I put one on a few months back and what a difference it has made this summer. My buddy and I fish tournaments together and when you have the 2 of us plus tackle and most the time a loaded live-well I will put the jack plate at about 4 1/2 inches and the boat gets up plane within seconds. I would not own another boat without one.

Thanks to all of you for your input on my plane problem. I'm taking all your input and hopefully solving my problem. Thanks again!!!!!

I have a 2006 nx898 and the hole shot is terrible it had a 200 on it and I upgraded to a 225 but it still won’t come out of the hole and I have an atlas jackplate, after comparing the bottom of the hull with several other boats I came to the conclusion it needed trim tabs which hydraulic or electric are out of the question do to the rolls in the transom I built a stationary but adjustable set that have helped edpssually with the porpoise

I have a 98 nitro 884 savage with 150efi merc and having same issues getting on plane. I had a 23p Tempest and will be switching to a 21p Tempest plus this week. I also have a Attwood Hydrofoil, but my motor is in the middle holes on the Transom. Wondering if I should raise the motor to the top holes in the transom?

Latest posts

Back