Pitchin Reel:

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz Bouvier

Reaction score
Shimano states that the Castaic Reel is ideal for pitchin/flippin, has anybody tried these reels and if so how were they? Also I have an oppertunity to purchase a Shimano Scorpion, and I was wondering what that reel compares to in there USA line, as I don't see it for sale here in the states. Thanks..

I have 2 flipping sticks set up with Castaics and they are both over 3 years old. They have been trouble free but are now due for a rebuild because they have, on occasion, free-spooled on hookset. They get a lot of use so this is really normal wear. (Alot like needing a brake job on your truck).

If you never used one before it will take a bit of getting used to but once you get the hang of it you can be very effective and maybe pick up a few more fish when they are dropping the baits fast. Excellent drag system as well and they can pick up line in a hurry.

I recommend them.

Buzz I have two of the reels and would not be without them.

I dont know anything about the other reel....bob

The Castaic reels are a great reel to allow an angler one handed operation while pitchin'/flippin'. Same guts and gearing as the Chronarch 100(silver/alum)with the same dependability. The Scorpion is a burgundy, Japanese mainland marketed Chronarch. Expect the same reliability, however not factory warranteed in our hemisphere. Make sure your dealer has a return/refund policy if needed. (Generally 12 mos.) Good Luck!

Buzz, I have a Castaic on my pitching & flipping rod, reel works great and so far haven't had a single problem with the reel. I've owned the reel for about 5 yrs.

Latest posts

Back