PGV16WT Prop Selection

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim McNamara

Reaction score
Just bought a 2008 PGV16WT with a 2006 Merc 60 hp 4-stroke. During a checkout run the boat turned 33 mph by speedo with a light load and the engine trimmed up a reasonable amount. The prop is a well chewed up 3-blade 12x22 aluminum and the engine has a1.83 gearing and is mounted on the 2nd hole. Two questions: Is 33 mph a reasonable speed for this combination? And, since I plan to buy a second prop anyway, is there any other prop size/type that I should consider? (The boat would be primarily used for fishing not tubing or skiing.)

I have an '04 PT185 with a 60 hp 4-stroke. Stock prop in good shape. 32MPH GPS with two guys and gear.

McFish, I wouldn't run with any "well chewed up" prop!:eek: Not even for a minute. I could be wrong but, I think it can do alot of bad things to your engine (over rev comes to mind). Even small nicks would cause me to change props until that one could be re-worked.

What kind of RPM @ WOT?

A 22P is a big wheel for a 60HP:wacko:

Thanks all for the responses. The rig was only run up to WOT for a brief check-out run at 5600-6000 rpm reaching 33 mph (speedo)with light load. The engine still has the dealer/factory sticker on the lower unit stating prop and ratio "12x22; 1.83:1". The prop has the following id on it: "816704A40P13 Mercury". Do I actually have a 12x22?

"12x22" is the gear ratio....or 1.83:1! Thought that number looked to familiar!!! The prop you have is the correct one, 13" pitch. Merc will soon release a new prop that is of 4-blade configuration called the "Spitfire". New blade design, tremendous hole-shot...can't wait to try one myself!! I would wait for that prop, as I have spoken to "reliable sources" that tell me it really works. If you opt to wait, go pitch for pitch. ;)

Bob B,

Thanks for setting me straight on my prop size! It seems much more reasonable now. And also I appreciate the heads up on the new Merc Spitfire prop.

Just seeing what people think. I went to Mercury prop selector to see what they recommended for a spitfire. 2011 Pro 165, 40hp 4-stroke, 5800rpm, 36mph.

By selecting performance I got:

Overall = 15 pitch.

Speed = 14 or 15.

Accel = 14 or 15.

Econ = 15.

Handling = 15.

By selecting weight and the weight of 1.5 people = 13 or 14 pitch.

By selecting the boat's length = 12 pitch.

Not really sure what to make of the results. Fill a little :wacko: about some of the recommendations.

Forget the pitch calculator. YOU have the base parameters from your set-up, and they happen to be right on. Go pitch for pitch. Whatever pitch prop you have on the boat now that let's you get the numbers you have, is the one you want. Mercury is trying {and succeeding} with the HUGE selection of props they have, to be as consistent as possible for ease of "choosing", and understanding pitch. ;)

Latest posts

Back