Perko Flush Mount Gas Caps, Question

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
Hey All, little time no talk, :rolleyes:,

On my Ranger 488VS, I have two 26 gallon tanks under the bench seat, boat filler necks are on the side of the boat, I have those flush mount perko gas caps. Lately I have noticed a smell of fumes/fuel right around the fill caps, not really anywhere else in the boat, I removed the bench seat to inspect the tanks and lines, all seem fine to me, no fumes no wet spots.

Both tanks are very low on fuel, about 1/4 in each tank, possibly some evaporation or if something is wrong loss of fuel, but not much.

Anyway, is it normal for those flush mount gas caps to smell of fuel, I know they are vented somewhat through the fill caps, but how much is too much smell.

Only other thought is that since my tanks are almost empty they are building up more fumes? Or the vent is not submerged in fuel?

Not sure, what do you guys think.

Thanks

CJL

Im pretty sure the gas vent it in the cap on those. I wold think a little gas fume smell would be pretty normal. I know i get some with mine and did with my old boat too rigt at the cap.

Jim B,

Thanks for the quick reply, if the cover is on the boat the smell is stronger form being trapped inside, when the cover is off, you have to stick your nose up close to the caps to get the smell of fumes, it seems to happen more when the boat is sitting in the sun or temps are changing,

sounds normal?

CJL

Sounds about right Chris and like you said with the tanks being low on fuel more room for fumes to store and with the temp changes we have been having the last couple of weeks you are bound to smell fumes around the caps.

BF

P.S Just don't look under the cover at night with a lighter to be safe..........................:unsure:

Latest posts

Back