Performance problems

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigC22

Reaction score
Last August I bought a Nitro 482 (2006) mint condition, garage kept with all new electronics and trolling motor upgrades. My first trip out i quickly realized that as soon as the boat settled down on plane that it wanted to list over to the left giving me the feeling of no control and the danger of rolling over if I continued to accelerate or not quickly back off. Fast forward to now... after at least a dozen trips to the lake, two separate appointments of 3days at a reputable boat dealership next to the lake, steering cable replacement, trim tab adjustments, motor height adjustments, a call to Tracker Marine where they took my boat info and informed me that i was running the correct prop that was issued with the boat off the sales lot new. As a last ditch effort i am looking at the possibility of the keel guard being an issue.... or maybe not...I.D.K.. Getting frustrated and still cant trust the stability of the boat with left tilt then a right tilt as though i am sliding on ice with no control and the steering held straight. I setup an appointment to take it to my nearest BassPro shop with hopes of positive results. Anyone have an issue that sounds like mine ? I looked and looked for almost a year before buying a boat that had the options and the condition i was willing to go with, the boat was 3.5 hours away with no place to put it in water but i did hear motor run and had paper work from dealer that did a complete service and checkup on upper end and lower unit. Shame on me I guess.

Is the motor trimmed at all when it leans? My boat will lean to left like you first described, once on plane and as I trim the motor it will ride level. The motor has that much torque. I have a 150 on an 18ft boat.

Is there any way you could contact the previous owner and ask him about the condition? What he did to alleviate it?

Is the motor trimmed at all when it leans? My boat will lean to left like you first described, once on plane and as I trim the motor it will ride level. The motor has that much torque. I have a 150 on an 18ft boat.

Is there any way you could contact the previous owner and ask him about the condition? What he did to alleviate it?
yea, I had several conversations with him and he seemed to not go there when i raised my concerns with the issue, and i know he had to know it was an issue, its that obvious. I also tried to trim it back to a stable ride but to no positive result as well as the dealer water testing it, they also verified the listing to one side or the other which resulted in lowering the engine about an inch and a half. That helped a little but not to a comfort range that is acceptable. I'm stumped and trying to understand this complex issue. ??? As a side note a few years back i owned a Skeeter bass boat and never had to split hairs with the trim, it was a flat ride side to side only trimming to hit the sweet spot after the boat was up on plane. My Nitro is 18' with a 115hp 2 stroke Mercury turning a 13.25-21 pitch prop.

I am stumped. Like I said mine boat will lean left at wide open throttle and trimmed all the way down. I have to trim up to get it leveled out. It will chine walk when trimmed and wide open too but I don't think that is your issue.

Have the places you have taken the boat to water tested yours? Did they experience what you described? I would think there is a fix to your problem.
There are others here who know a bunch more than me, I hope they will step in and offer some help.

You may also try a few other boat boards. Scream and Fly also Bass Boat Central with your issue.

Good luck!

I am stumped. Like I said mine boat will lean left at wide open throttle and trimmed all the way down. I have to trim up to get it leveled out. It will chine walk when trimmed and wide open too but I don't think that is your issue.

Have the places you have taken the boat to water tested yours? Did they experience what you described? I would think there is a fix to your problem.
There are others here who know a bunch more than me, I hope they will step in and offer some help.

You may also try a few other boat boards. Scream and Fly also Bass Boat Central with your issue.

Good luck!
I will work with it till I get it ironed out... I hope ! $$$$ LOL Thanks

When you said you did not water test it, I took a gasp. I sure hope you can get it worked out.

Yep been there done that on buying a boat from a lying POS. Cost me over ten grand and a very pissed off wife.
As far as the listing, have you checked to see if there is any water trapped in the boat? Wouldn't think it is caused by the engine. I have a 225hp on the back of my V19TE and it rides flat.

BTW when I started talking about a boat all the wife told me was we're not buying another used boat. So a new 2022 it was!

Have dealership check the hull. Make sure it didn't hook on you (bow from a loose stringer) the bottom is suppose to be flat. I had an issue and it was causing performance issues, loosing top end speed, etc. And motor was fine, just a tought.

I will work with it till I get it ironed out... I hope ! $$$$ LOL Thanks
Sounds like the motor is not mounted correctly on the transom. What I am talking about is the motor could be mounted on the starboard side of the transom more then on the center. A 1/4 " is a lot or more would cause that, worth checking.

Sounds like the motor is not mounted correctly on the transom. What I am talking about is the motor could be mounted on the starboard side of the transom more then on the center. A 1/4 " is a lot or more would cause that, worth checking.
Thanks, i am making a list of all potential reasons that could be my problem, i am set up for May 3rd at my nearest BassPro dealership to have it looked at, so all who has replied is giving me things to think about and will bring these up when i take my boat to them... hopefully they are professionally and technically qualified to figure this out.

Hopefully they will figure it out. Let us know what they do to fix the problem. Good luck.

Motor might be mounted with it cocked a little to the right(instead of straight up and down perpendicular to the water)which would make it vere to the left.

Among others, there are two possibilities that I can think of: 1) Whale tale / Hydrofoil on the outboard 2) Check the hull by placing a straight edge on it and look for any areas that are not flat.

Among others, there are two possibilities that I can think of: 1) Whale tale / Hydrofoil on the outboard 2) Check the hull by placing a straight edge on it and look for any areas that are not flat.
previous owner had a hydrofoil on it and i removed it after my 2nd trip out.

performance problem update ; since my initial post on April 16 I decided to do what I thought was my smartest option and take my boat to my nearest Bass Pro dealer and let their service shop and techs get me on the water with a safe and proper operating boat, May 3rd was the drop off date and it is still there ( over a month at this point ). After a month, many phone conversations reveal that they have no solution to my problem, furthermore they and Nitro know that my model boat has been known to do what my boat is doing. when the Z6 model came out the hull design corrected my issue ( that was a little slip of the tongue by the service rep at BP ).... so where does all this leave me ?, a beautiful looking 18 foot bass boat with a 115hp motor that feels like its out of control between the speed range of 20mph to 30mph that puts me and whoever is on the boat with me in a very uncomfortable situation, cant sell the damn thing knowing the next guy will be back for his money with a club in his hand and wouldnt blame him. I reached out to Nitro customer service in Springfield and that was a very disappointing call to say the least, so at this point I am one very unlucky, unhappy Nitro owner stuck with a boat that has more time at a shop than i had with it on the water and newly retired wanting something nice to enjoy my passion is turning into frustration. hopefully my next post will be more positive !

Used boat prices are still up higher than normal. Possibly trade it in back to a Nitro or White River Marine dealership for a different boat. Not a great option, but you would get yourself back on the water in a safe boat. Then you are no longer responsible for for this boat. Just tossing out an option.

Latest posts

Back