Patching hole in my Tracker boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Jordan

Reaction score
I recently upgraded the transducer that is mounted the transom of my PT175. The holes in my new mounting bracket did not line up with the holes used for my old mounting bracket so I have a small drill hole to fill. Has anyone had any experience with a product called JB Waterweld? Supposedly it will plug any small hole in metal, including aluminum, and it is impervious to water. If anyone has used this product I would appreciate your thoughts on this product.

Gopreach

If the hole is accessible from the inside, you can get sealing washers at auto parts stores. Then, run a stainless steel bolt through it.....job complete.

I have never used the "Waterweld", but the transom on my PT175 has the same type holes, sealed with standard JB Weld, and a couple of others filled with the two-part "stick shaped" putty. I over filled the holes and smoothed the outside with a wet finger per the instructions. No leaks after two years.

I used it to make umbrella rigs for trolling. It sets up fast but it's wicked strong and hard when it does set up.

I did the same thing to my Tracker. I used JB Weld and never had a problem. I have also used it on my Jon Boat, it is stronger than the boat itself.

Thanks guys for the replys. I run two Humminbird units on my boat like a lot of you do and the older model mounting bracket was different from the current model I am now running. I had read a lot of reviews on the JB Weld products but I had never used them myself. I bought my boat new in January 2003 (leftover 2002 show room model) and it has served me well. It never sits out in the weather uncovered (and even when it is covered it is usually in the barn or under the carport)and still looks very good, especially for its age and miles. Best of all it is paid for so I hope to keep it another 10 years at least, thus I want to maintain it the best I can. As with all boats I read some negative reviews on this site and others about these boats but mine has been great. I appreciate this forum and always enjoy reading the great advise that is offered.

Gopreach

JB waterweld works great. I used it exactly for the purpose your seeking. Switched from a Lowrance unit that crapped out on me to a Humminbird. Holes definitely did not line up. I used the waterweld to fill in the old holes and tapped new ones. That was over three years ago. Waterweld still holding strong with no cracking, shrinkage, leaks or any other problems.

Latest posts

Back