Orvis Fly Fishing School - Report

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Okay, wife and I returned this past weekend from our vacation to the Ozarks. It included a 2 Day Orvis Fly Fishing school at Dogwood Canyon (water feeds into Table Rock lake). First a report on Dogwood Canyon.

It's owned by a foundation now, but is/was owned by Johnny Morris (aka Mr. Bass Pro). It sustained a fair amount of damage from Hurricane Ike when it came through. Wiped out several of the bridges in the park; relocated much of the rock into the trout streams, and caused quite a bit of downed trees. Therefore, the second day we were there, they announced that they would close the park to all activitiy for the remainder of the year/season - they may open it for their Christmas activities, but that is to be determined. So, if you want to go fishing for trout there, wait till next year.

The class was great. Two instuctors. Lot's of classroom activities, and a fair amount of time getting used to a fly rod/outfit (with no fly attached). Learned the basic roll cast, along with standard casting; false casting; shooting line. Hardest thing was to get over the learned 'bass fishing actions', and let the rod do the work.

We also got into the 'technology' of fly fishing (hooks, line size, matching tackle, etc.). Very good. During our 'on the water practice, it also included video filming and critique of each of our casting. Class was seven people, my wife being the only female in the group. She loved it (the school).

Second day was stream entemology (sp); another review of false casting and 'the double haul' (not much time spent on that). We each also tried a heavier rod (8 weight), used for bigger fish (including bass).

The afternoon was spent (about 2 1/2 hours) actually fishing the streams of the park. We got more instruction on actually rigging out line, leader, fly, etc. Then fishing.

While I did get two bites (lost one due to standard - 'bass fishing setting of the hook'), I did catch about a 1 1/2 lb Rainbow and get it landed and into the net. It was on a dry fly. However, the head instructor came by and gave me the news. . . . .

My wife caught a BIG rainbow that the instructor estimated to be around 8 to 8 1/2 lbs. Huge fish. After about 4 big runs, he managed to break off - so no pictures. She is hooked on fly fishing, and really enjoys it.

During my 'evaluation', I recommended that the class be expanded to 3 days, and allow more time on the water actually fishing, so that you can 'put it together'.

If you would like to learn to fly fish, I highly recommend the Orvis school(s). We got our money's worth out of it. After I upload the pic's, I'll add a few to the library and post them.

Tex

Pic's from the class/area.

Fly Fishing Cabin_Dogwood Canyon.JPG

Cabin where the class was held.

Dogwood Canyon Kitchen.JPG

Kitchen area in the cabin.

Dogwood Canyon_Living Room.JPG

Living Room Area in the cabin.

Orvis_Lost Souls.JPG

Lost souls, hoping to catch 1 trout!

Fishing TableRock Trail Race.JPG

Day after, several folks fishing the trailrace below Table Rock.

Tex

Several more, showing the 'stream and pools' that have been setup within the Dogwood Canyon park. All are stocked in the spring with trout. After the winter, the Eagles pretty much clean out all the trout.

Having trouble linking in the other pics. Two more loaded and in my library.

Tex

Tex,

That picture of the 'trailrace' is my home water, dude!

The two guys fishing are in an area called "Lookout Hole" and the picture was taken from the overlook (Lookout) up above. On a day like that I like to fish just to the left of the picture where what looks like a stream enters the lake (Taneycomo, or "Lake, Taney County Missouri"). You have to creep up over the gravel bar so as to not spook the fish, but they stack up back there until something drives 'em off, like a really bad cast.

Here's a pic from when by brother-in-law and I fished there a few winters ago:

Taneycomo-Lookout.jpg

The "Lookout" is just visible in this picture, top right:

Lookout Flats.jpg

That area has some beautiful fish:

Jims Trout.JPG

Glad you had a good time. The browns are in their fall run now and the rainbows start in March. It's a great lake for fly and spin fishing.

Latest posts

Back