opinions on used reels

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA Chris

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to purchase one (or three) used Shimano Curados for $45 each. These are in good working order but are 2004 or 2005 models. What do you think? Good deal, OK, forget it? If I take two or all three I imagine I can get them a little cheaper.

Chris - In my opinion (you asked for it) I think the prices are good and the older Curado's are BETTER than the new ones (think Citica now). Stronger frame. Are the reels the SFs? If so and you don't want them let me in on them. I have about 5 and they are great reels. IMO

For that price, if they are working, I'd buy them.

I'm not a Shimano user, but I know the following, and I've torn them down before and rebuilt them for friends. That's a good deal on used Curado's.

All the best,

Glenn

thanks, I'm going to check them out this evening. If they all look to be in good working order I'll probably make him an offer for all three.

Good deal. Even if they were heavily used and had worn bearings, bring them up to new condition would be inexpensive.

I bought one before the switch over and had one bestowed upon my by the fishing gods. They are durable and easy to use. I wish I had bought a few more before the "redesign"! If they are in working order, I'd say buy away.

Well I met with the guy and ended up buying all three Curados. Two are SF's and one is the CU-200. Truthfully,after I respooled all of them I could tell little difference in the castibility between the SF and non-SF. I could tell a BIG difference between the Curados and the Quantums they were replacing. I guess I must have been living right lately, I got all three for $100, boxes,paperwork and all. thanks again for the input.

CT

You definitely got a deal. Great reels! I love them. Old ones and I have 2 of the new ones. I like them all.

If you ever need reel service, cleaning or upgrade parts try big green fish reel service www.biggreenfish.com Good guy and reasonable rates. :D

Yep aewsome deal you got there. I have a nunch of curado's both regular, sf and the new one and they are all awesome reels. The place you will really notice the differnece between the 200 and the SF is if you hae a really light lure on. The sf casts light lures really well.

As far as the new ones are concerned. My perosnal opinion having owned both and also a citiga the new curado is head and shoulders bettrer then the old one. its lighter, smoother, smaller, casts better etc, its just a superior reel overall. The citiga that was out for a few years until this years redesign stacks up to the old SF model very well and the 09 model is even better. Dont get me wrong i love my old curado's but they did make a good thing even better in my opinion.

I'm with everyone else.. I don't even get out to fish any more but I would have bought those Curado's at the deal you got in a heartbeat!!

Uncle Billy

Hey UB, what's this "don't-even-get-out-to-fish-anymore" stuff? Gotta work on fixin' that!!

Thanks gang, I feel really fortunate to have picked them up. I am taking my nine year old up to the lake this evening to play with my new toys. So far I have only been fishing for "Grass Carp" in the back yard.

Latest posts

Back