OOOOUCH!! What would you do...?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
While at the boat show this weekend I was watching the Bill Dance Bloopers DVD (wouldn't spend $20 on though). In one scene Bill pulls back on a crankbait and it zings in and nails him right on the nose burying the hook past the barb. DAAAYUM that smarts. Now ol' Bill has a crew out there to help him but what would you do if you were out there by yourself with say a DD-22 hanging from your left nostril? I don't keep a mirror on the boat. I do have a pair of dikes but would hate to have to start looking for them in that situation. I have had plenty of hooks go whizzing by but so far I've never had one "hook up".

Harpo

You go back to the dock, swallow your pride and go to the emergency room so the doctors and nurses can get a huge laugh at your expense. Yanking a hook (there is a painless and effective way to do it) from your hand or other parts of your anatomy is one thing, but from your face is quite another.

TOXIC

This sounds like the makings of a new Mastercard commercial. "Priceless moments"

Ouch!!!!

Cass

I was stream fishing about 2 years ago and a friend of mine caught a pretty big drum which she refused to take off the hook. I walked over take to the hook out and the 2nd treble hook caught me in the thumb. I could have pulled that one out but right when I was ready to the fish flopped and she jerked the rod and in went all 3 hooks as deep as they could possibly go. Hurt like hell and I had to sit down on a rock for a minute just to see straight again. I was far away from anywhere civil so I had an extra large crawdad hanging from my thumb for several hours until I could get to the emergency room. The kid in the waiting room was freaked out after he looked at it. Took 4 different emergency room doctors to finally get it out.

My mom hooked my step dad while on the lake in Minnesota last year right on top of his scalp. Oh it was disgusting as we all tried to cut the hook and pull it out. What a man he was. I just wanted to faint looking at it.

I have that DVD by the way but I have never watched it. Came free with something but I can't remember what.

Considering what I look like, a crankbait hanging from my face might be an improvement!!! And maybe a grub from each ear. LOL!!!

Bob G.

Years ago, a buddy and I were fishing topwater frogs. It was summer and hot so we had our shirts off. I had a blow up and set the hook, but the fish didn't have the bait all the way. Anyhow, the bait came whizzing back and I hollered, "Heads up!" But it was a little too late. I heard this "WHACK" and looked back. The stinger hook had buried deep into his chest and the bait was just hanging there with a little blood dripping down his chest. Fortunately, it hit him dead center in the sternum, so the hook didn't go too deep as it was stopped by the bone! LOL He wasn't too happy.

Had one removed from my shoulder and one from the knee both times in the ER. It was more painful than watching Bill Dance on TV but less painful than watching "Chris's Kitchen" on Babe Winkleman.

Fatrap

if you get hooked while landing a fish, remember this first:

TAKE THE FISH OFF THE OTHER END BEFORE PROCEEDING!

So far, I've been bruised by senkos, and had one hook in a finger (with a 4# hybrid White/Striper Bass on the other end) but nothing enough to go to the e-room for.

As for the Bill Dance Bloopers three... We got one for Christmas... funniest darn thing you can ever watch... I hope that some of the things on it are intentional, but basically every "boat ramp" story that you have ever heard is demonstrated on this video... including launching a boat with trailer attached....

I laughed so hard I cried!

Jamey, my buddy who stops in here once in a while, was fishing with 2 other friends from his 16' rig. Kind of cramped, but when he went to cast his Rogue with 3 Excalibur trebles, upon pulling the rod forward to cast he felt it stop behind him. He says he never turned around, but asked, "Tell me I didn't just hook him!" He did, right between the eyes. They finally got it out and the guy kept fishing!

I also had a pike get me once. My mom had hooked a little 20" snake pike on a minnow bait. I reached down to unhook it and it jumped sending one of the exposed trebles into the meat of my hand. Before I could pin him down and remove it, he jumped again and ripped it all the way across and out. I still have the scar. I bled like a stuck pig. But the pike.....unfortunately.....did NOT live through the experience! LOL

I had a hook in the finger once. I just passed it on through, cut off the barb and then took out the rest. It's one of the things I hate about fishing with multi treble hook baits. Landing a PO'ed LM thrashing around with 6 or 9 exposed hooks is pretty scary and even scarier when my son is doing it. But getting one in the nose and just getting the split ring off the hook to get back to the ramp and load the boat and then drive to the nearest ER sounds like a big pain to say the least.

Harpo

Yep..you suck it up and "grin & bare it"LOL Got a treble in my thumb a few years back and drove myself to the hospital with a treble stuck in it. Embarrassing!:)

Went fishing in Maine with the Wife a year ago, as she is pulling up a small mouth she asked me for some help. The next thing I grab the line she raises the rod and the fish wiggles off, next this I have a shad rap stuck in my hand. This was her second time fishing with me so I did not want to freak her out so I calmly told her to put down rod, open my fist to see two hooks buried in my hand. So I sat there bleeding on a boat I rented with pair pliers in till I could get the hooks out. I don't go to the hospital unless I really can't get it out( buried deep, Always try to relax the mucsle or U will never get it out ), my tip is to drink some beers to num the pain LOL..

X

Mine was buried to the shank! Ididn't want to go either but, after yankin' on it for about 5 minutes..I couldn't even see it for all the blood. If it's buried...don't take chances..go to the hospital! I've cut a few out for others with side cutters but, never buried.

TEE

BTW..I've seen Bill Dance use the old line method but,he had someone helpin' too...

Never had to go to the ER (knock on wood) but did with a buddy ONCE. I wont do it again unless the hook is stuck on a bone and wont go through.

Harpo has the way to do it....push it through, cut the barb and bring it back the way it went in.

Mini

not sure if you remember this picture.... you can see 2 small holes where my son nailed me with a 1/2 oz spinner bait..... short trip to the ER and 30 minutes later... I was back on the water......

Kraig
hookset.jpg

I got a hook in my thumb a few years back. It went in past the barb and I couldn't push it through because of the thumb nail. I played and played with it until it was too sore to even touch. I stopped on the way home at the hospital and they shot it uup then DIDN'T have anything that would cut it. I had to send my wife out to my truck to get my side cutters. I didn't get a reduction in cost however. I told the Doc how embarrasing it was was and he told me not to worry because an angler came in the week before with EACH thumb hooked together. Seems he was trying to get one out and ended up hooking the other.

Bill

Yeah, I remember that picture. It would have been a good time to get some piercings and some tattoos. LOL

Harpo

LOL Kraig. There is no way I could have pushed mine back out. I don't know if I was more embarrassed about the hook or the way I looked when I went to the ER. Usually when I go fishing, I am not a pretty sight.

Bill same thing happened to my buddy. Nothing to cut it with, so I went out to the boat and got side cutters. They didnt want to let them in the building because they werent sterile. THEN the doctor and nurse could not impart enough force to actually cut the hook, I did it. THEN they made him stay for xrays to make sure all of the hook came out....all in all it was a 3 hour ordeal and we didnt get back on the water till the next day. FYI we had just started catching some nice walleye when it happened too!

Mini

My partner buried 2 hooks in himself on two separate occasions on the same day during a tournament, both past the barbs. One was in the shoulder and the other was in his bicep. I pushed em both through for him and we kept right on fishin...!!

A treble got me 3 yrs ago. My fishing partner and I could not get it to pass on through so as to clip the barb off. Trimmed off the lure and the other two hooks and he drove to the hospital. The Doc in the ER had seen it before. He used a large guage needle and inserted it in the same hole the hook had make. He felt around (I made sure my finger was really numb) until he covered the barb of the hook with the hollow part of the needle and then backed it out slick as anything. The nurses in the ER did say that they had one guy come in with the fish still on another treble.

Boilermaker

OK OK I've heard enough! I'm giving up fishing and taking up stamp collecting.

********************BOAT FOR SALE****************

;>))

Harpo

You do what David said. You buckle down, get the diagonal cutters and bear the pain. That's one reason my wife won't let me go fishing alone.

She knows me. :>)

Good grief,

And I thought that my job was hazardous at times!!!! I think that I will be a bit more conscious of the hooks from now on...you really made me think!!!

Carlos

If it were me, my dad would have said, "Look, you caught yourself a sucker." then laughed alll the way to the ER.

I have never had a hook prblem like that however-knock on glass.

T.S.

Three years ago on Buggs Island, my father in law was swimming up to a dock by himself and hooked himself on a hook that was somehow tied to the dock. He caught himself in the back of the calf while in deep water. Oh, did I say he was by himself? The next thought is "How long can you tread water? HA HA Ha Ha". He had to rip the hook out. Then he endured a big infection for several weeks afterward.

david.....

In that situation you should go overboard and troll yourself. Large bass and muskies are very competitive and if one thought you were getting away with prey in their territory they would try to take it away from you.

Would also solve the problem of getting it out of your nose...

I impaled a lead headed jig in my forearm while loading the 2 man pvc boat on top of a pop-up camper and rather than take the time to cut the hook or pinch the barb (it was a situation where I could not put the boat down) I just was going to rip it out (it was only a 1/16th oz jig). My son was watching and I yanked it out with some needle nose pliers and one of my tendons came out the hole with the hook. It was ok though, it went back in like a snake when I straightned my fingers out..LOL!! I thought my son was gonna lose it. Got as white as a sheet.

TOXIC

About 7 years ago during a tournement my partner saw a fish surface about 10 yds farther than he could throw a rattle trap, So he really reared back to let it fly. Needless to say the lure never left the boat. It was embedded in my ear. He broke 10# test with the mighty cast. I had him remove the lure from the split ring and I kept fishing. About noon a thunderstorm came thru so we went back to the tourney director and got permission to go to the ready care clinic. The director say's let me look at it, "oh heck I'll take a pair of pliers and push it thru the other side, snip off the barb and pull it back out." It sounded good but it was in the cartlidge of my ear so I opted for the ready care where they could numb it. The doctor say's "oh heck I'll take a pair of pliers and push it thru the other side, snip off the barb and pull it back out." O.K. were on the same page go ahead. He get's out his sterile pliers and comes at me with them. "Hey wait arent you going to numb it"? "Nah by the time I do that it'll be over". So I told him that if he's not going to numb it I'll go back to the tournement director and let him do it for free. So reluctantly he numbed it...and spent about 45 seconds twisting and pushing the hook thru. When he got done he says "Boy, that was in there pretty good huh". I went back and we still finished 5th in the tourny. Mac and Craig met my partner up north this year.

Gene

Toxic! You are an feakin animal! I though I could endure pain...(football game with a seperated shoulder, reconstructive surgery only with a local, baseball game in 40 degrees with a nerve hanging from a freshly broken tooth, putting up with Mac...lol)

That HAS to be almost as studly as cutting your own leg off to get out from under a tractor.

Mini

Yeah, I have a pretty high threshold for pain. My achilles tendons used to pop out in football practice all of the time (usually only if I got clipped)...now that was pain. Had a horse impale me on a corrugated steel barn by the leg. Ripped off my calf, it was only hanging on by a piece of skin...saw both my leg bones....never hurt a bit. I used to be a certified welder and I would work on the plates that hold the railroad cars to the wheels, big thick steel plates. We used to have to overhead weld them which meant I had to lay on my back and slag and molten steel would get under my leather welding sleeves but you couldn't stop the weld (it woud ruin the integrity of a weld that was 5 rows deep and about 3 feet long). So you had to keep going without flinching while you listened to and smelled your skin sizzling. I got used to it....I gotta say though the tendon thing did freak me out a little.LOL!! I don't know if I'm ready for Mac......

TOXIC

Note to self....stay on Toxic's good side. Oh Mac is a puppy....just a real big one. He will kill you wih his sense of humor before anything else!

Mini