on board battery charger???

• Thread starter stephen lesieur
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen lesieur

Reaction score
HI guys

I am buying a 1999 nitro nx882

no charger.

I decided to go w/the basspro shops XPS

the nitro has 2 batteries for the trolling and 1 for the starter.

24volt

which charger??

1? 2? 3 bank charger

5 amp

10 amp??

thanks

stephen

I have a Guest 2 bank charger, you can with a 3 if ya want, but even I have no use for the three, the 2 bank for my troller is it

Only one to ever consider - Guest Charger!! I'd go with the 3 bank charger, so even your cranking battery is conditioned on a regular basis. i'd go 10 amp 3 bank, better safe then sorry!

Trep

Personally i prefer a 3 bank charger, i have a 10 amp 3 bank guest mounted in my 882.

The reason i like the 3 bank is to charge the starting battery. If you run your electronics and livewell pumps all day the big engine wont fully charge the battery unless you make a lot of long runs( something i dont do). If you fish a lot of smaller lakes or like to spend more time with the trolling motor down/less on the gas like i do( i may run my motor for 30 minutes tops on an average fishing day) that thrid bank is a nice thing to have.

Peronally i think guest is the only way to go on the charger, great charger and the best service. If you fish tournaments, or lots of two days in a row and need them charged overnight and need a quick recovery time get a 10 amp. If you only fish like a day a week or every few days, etc and you dont need the quick recovery the 5 amp is fine.

Guest. 3 bank, 5 amp/bank minimum. 5 amps will charge TM batteries in about 8 hr after 3-4hrs of battling Detroit River current and 15-20mph winds with a Powerdrive 65AP. 10 amp would be better.

Mike

charge 'em all up! i have the guest 2635 4 bank charger 3x10 1x5 love it

;)

He is not asking which brand, he already stated he is going with the XPS charger. He is asking how many banks and how many amps per bank!!!:wacko:

To answer your question. You want the 3 bank charger. I would go with the 5/5/5 charger because it is less expensive but will still do as good as the 10 amp per bank charger, just won't charge as fast (which is good. slower charges are kinder on batteries). This particular charger will take unsued charging amps from the starting battery and distribute them to the banks that need them. In most cases, your cranking battery doesn't need much charging, so when it has reached full charge, it will take the 5 amps from that bank and distribute them to the two banks that are charging your trolling motor batteries which equals 7.5 amps per bank.

I love mine. The Bass Pro Shops XPS chargers are built by Pro Mariner who makes good quality chargers and have a good reputation for service if you ever need it.

Enjoy

Well, we can sure change his mind about the brand can't we. We had a member almost burn his boat up with a Pro Mariner if I remember correctly. You ask a charger question on this site and the majority will reccommend GUEST. Why??? Because they are the best and have the #1 of all time customer service (Sue).

TOXIC

No you don't you want the GUEST 3bank and atleast 10 amp. charger. I have a GUEST and I wouldn't trade it for for three BPS'S everybody knows that !

Can all these other guys be wrong.........NO I don't think so !! I have a Minnekota that died 2 Years . You get what you pay for and that doesn't change. I've never heard of a GUEST that needed "service".

Mark:D

I had a XPS a couple years ago, I think it was an XPS, I know it was the Bass Pro Shops brand and it went out in either 1 or 2 years (right after the warranty expired) now I have a Guest and could not be happier unless I had a fishfinder that only showed the fish that were biting and didnt know how lousy fisherman I really am..:D:D:D Go with Guest, you wont be sorry...

Jeff

Im not sold on anything made by pro mariner. A guy in my club has one in his 882 and he has had to have it replaced like 5 times. After his experience i dont think you could give me one.

My guest 2630 was bought in 98 new and its in its second boat, the only thing that has ever gone wrong with it was a busted fuse holder, granted i dropped a 70# battery on it :D

I don't think anyone will dispute that Guest makes great products. But to say that they don't make any lemons or have problems with any charger they make (what Gross claims above) is crazy! If that's the case, then why is Sue D such a hero???? Sue D is famous on many web discussion boards due to her great customer service at handling problems with Guest chargers. So, in order for her to be widely known as she is, that would mean she has taken care of a lot of folks; therefore, meaning a lot of Guest chargers have crapped out.:unsure:

OK, I will bite. Sue D is famous here for providing great info and tech information. I have bought 3 chargers from her, not because they failed but because they work. I have a dual pro 2 bank charger I can't give away, but the boat I have now, the last boat I sold and the one I traded away all had Guest chargers. Her job is customer service even if it's the customers fault.

BF

Rusty your funny , I never said any such thing . What I said is that I never have heard " Who ever is doing the reading and typing for Rusty there tell him you can't read very well yourself". Also nobody mentioned lemons...you must be thinking of the one between your ears. LOL

Sue D. is a hero on this board for reasons you'll never be able to understand, and something you'll never have to worry about.

I guess everybody else on the board is wrong and your right , Right. If you have an opinion give it but without the sarcasm . ;)

Mark

Mark, you never said such a thing? To specifically quote you, you said,"I've never heard of a GUEST that needed "service.":wacko:

Like I said, to say that Guest never has any returns is crazy! I am a member of three different boards, and I can't count the number of times someone has written a nice post about how Sue D took care of them when their Guest charger crapped out on them. That is all I am saying. I am not nor have not said Guest doesn't make good products....Read what I said before. But to sit there and say no one has problems with Guest chargers????:wacko:

Bruce F, you said it correctly, her job is customer service.

If Guest had no problems with any charger they made, there would be little use for Sue D's job to exist.

Do me a favor, go the BBC boards and do a search (recent and archived) containing the phrase Sue D and see how many posts you find on how Sue D took care of them when their charger died on them.

How do you like your lemons Gross?

I would go with the guest 3 bank. I personally like the 10/5/10. It will charge your batteries much quicker if you fish one afternoon, and go the next morning. I know it will cost more than the bass pro setup, but you get what you pay for.

Bubby:)

Rusty, if I was gonna find myself a subject to argue about, I believe that one would rank right there on the bottom. That dog of yours ain't never gonna hunt no matter how many times you kick it. Why don't you just go to Wally world and by you a $30 dollar charger and be happy with all of the money you saved.:lol:

BTW, you'll find that with the right approach, there isn't a more helpful bunch of folks on the web. With the wrong approach,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

BruceM

Ok guys...Ok...i think i can shed some light here...I did have a 1 bank guest die on me...the one on my charging battery. Sue D had a replacement here within 3 days...THAT is enough to keep me with Guest! Anything mechanical or electrical will die @ some point...it's what the company does about it that counts and I for one say Guest has customer service second to none. Just my opinion.

RW

I had a Guest 2611 (2 bank 5/5) and it worked fine for charging up the trolling batts. It was a pain if I wanted to charge the cranking battery so I switched to a three bank ProMariner. Both work just fine. Dual Pro and Minn Kota also make good chargers. I would recommend a three bank over the two bank regarless of make.

Again Rusty , what I said is " I 've never heard " NOT "they've never had" Meaning that I've never heard of one going bad (until know) doesn't mean someone else hasn't heard of it or that it doesn't happen.

Customer service is everything, And its good to have someone like SueD there IF you need her. Who you going to talk about it at BPS??? And that is nothing against BPS but.....

I like my lemons with a little tequila and salt Rusty ! :lol::lol::lol:

Mark

Just to clear the air and answer some of Rusty's questions.....

Rusty,

Yes, on occasion Guest does have chargers fail. It's not often, but it does happen. We have been working very hard to make our charger more reliable all the time.

There was a time that a lot of our chargers failed. Once we got a handle on it and made major changes, I was out on the Internet on many websites letting people know about the changes and taking care of their problems.

Since we began our continuous improvement program, our returns have decreased dramatically, and I have spent less time on the net taking care of problems, but I am still keeping an eye on many message boards.

Thanks everyone else that jumped in. It's great to know that I have such a good group of people watching my back.

:wub::wub::wub:

Sue

Sue is my hero just because....:wub::wub::wub: :D

Steve
4631.gif

She can fish toooooooo.........:wub: Sorry Rusty, I knew this was goin in the crapper as soon as you posted. You're lucky the people here don't dogpile. You got honest feed back on what individuals feel is the best charger as well as IF or WHEN one needs service (yes they do), the best company to deal with. Go put the same post up on the BBC and you'll get to know what a real internet beatdown feels like!!:lol::lol::lol: Don't take it personal. No harm, no foul.

TOXIC

exactly right tox...

nobody here is trying to sell anything, just providing real experiences

Calm down, calm down......... I was just kidding.

.....hijacking....

Sue, do ya plan on making it back to Champlain??? hint...hint!

Bob G.

Well, it seems like I'm late for all of this. All of you know how I hate to get involved in any of this.:) As Toxic mentioned, I have a beautiful picture of a brand new BPS Charger all burned up while installed in someones new bass boat. For some reason, I can't get it to upload so everyone can see it. At least I think that's what Tox was talking about. Of course Guests fail sometime. The difference is that Sue and Guest are right there doing what they can to make it right. Geeeez I wish I could show that picture and I can say right now I won't buy anything but a Guest, period. I have never had a problem with mine but when I bought it used from a guy on BBC, I mentioned I didn't have any installation instructions or or really anything and before I even knew it, everything I needed was attacked to my query by Sue and everything was right with the world.:) None of those other companies have Sue, and that's a BIG selling point for me.

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back