Okay, I'm stupid . . . but . . .

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
I can't figure out how to get a machete prop off of my 52 lb Tracker/Motorguide without breaking wings on the plastic nut. I need help with this because I just KNOW I'm going to break the original prop during my fishing trip next month.

And, is there a cotter pin behind it? I'd like to know in case I need to buy a spare.

Thanks, guys!

Just break the prop now and get it over with. This way you can practice for when it actually happens when your fishing. I think it has something to do with a bottle of Corona and a lime, but better ask Mac for the particulars on that!!

Barb

There's a special plastic tool for removing it...check with your local parts dealer.

Hey Ken, i've got the Ninja prop on my trolling motor. Checked a local boat shop (BPS has been out for months) of the kit that contains the nut, pin and tool - they wanted like $18.00 for it. What does it cost when BPS has them in? Have not needed it yet, but have had a few close calls in the late evening taking the prop off to unwind my line when it gets caught.

TrepMan

Not sure...Parts is closed on Monday's...e-mail Craig tomorrow and he'll let you know.

Barb, Barb, Barb....... The man asks an honest question....... He really needs some help....... And you answer him like that. You used to be such a nice lady......

The attitude on this board must be rubbing off on you! Glad to see it!

me!

Special tool? That's a bummer. I wish our rigger had told me about that when we picked up the boat, and that the tool would have been included with the boat. It's kind of an important thing, being able to change out a broken trolling motor prop.

Okay. It gives me a reason to go spend money with a dealer who didn't sell me the boat, but who is 203 miles closer to me.

Mark

The tool is just like the plastic "key" for removing some gas caps on boats....Perko makes them and they only cost a few bux.

You don't need a special tool.If you have needle nose pliers they will do the trick. I use them after every trip to clean out the fishing line or weeds that tend to get jammed around the shaft.

i agree with dave. if you could see the "special" tool you could make one real easy with a band saw. stan

BPS Spring Catalog page 254 "Ninja Prop Wrench Kit" item # 15-592-039-00 $15.99

I'm currently out of stock. Hope this helps. If you try the needlenose, be careful not to snap the ends off the plastic nut.

Okay, but I'm one of the few that doesn't get the BPS catalog.

Do they mail these for free if you buy a boat? Or do you have to pay for them like you do in the store?

Ken,

Get Mark a catalog...they are free Mark just go to website, wwwbasspro and request one...can't believe you don't have one..

Okay, I'm stupid . . . but . . .

I didn't know they were free. Everytime I've been in BPS, the catalogs are for sale in a bin. I just went online and put in my request. Thanks again! You guys and gals are the BESTEST!

Mark

wow i didn't think there was anybody on earth that didn't get the BPS catalog. i think your the last one. everything will be OK soon. stan

hey,i got 2 of them.i guess im priveleged!!!

just kidding.i got one as a spare for the drive pins.seems mine bends them so its hard to get the old pin out.and its only a 45lb thrust.

I ordered one, but it hasn't arrived. And I'm NOT the last one to know how to order a free catalog. I haven't told the two guys who swore to me that they're NOT free.

By the way, when you buy a Motorguide replacement prop (Machete, in the box), the tool, the pins and the plastic retaining nut are INCLUDED! I worried for nuthin'.

Mark

Mark - How much was the replacement prop (with the tool/pins)?

Trep:

The boxed replacement prop (3-blade) and tools/pins ran me $48. Ouch! But the peace of mind is worth it, and far less than what a ruined fishing trip would cost. The tools, pins and nut were in a plastic bag taped to the aft inside of the spare prop.

I'd suggest shopping around to see if you can get a better price. I'll bet Craig could tell you if I paid too much, got a good price or paid the going rate.

Mark

Mark... $48.00 sounds about right. Of course, if you had a friend in the boat parts business...

Craig:

I know a friend in the parts business! HELLO . . friend!

What I really need is a good relationship with the local Tracker dealer. How much does THAT cost? (Besides buying a new boat from him, that is.) The prop was an impulse buy when I was picking up a gallon of Quicksilver TCW-3.

By the way, the locks and the lid pulls arrived last week, but I had to travel out to Colorado for my dad's retirement party and didn't have time to post. Man, was security at Salt Lake City International TIGHT!! They even swabbed our shoes and the palms of our hands to check for explosives. (Mac wouldn't have made it through because of his stash of C-4!)

I'm leaving Friday morning for our winter trout fishing derby in Branson, but after we get back we'll be installing the locks and the lid pulls. Photos to follow!

Mark

Mo,...I'm too pretty for that!!..LOL...I'm not nearly ugly enough to attempt putting C4 in my shoes!!

My wife's pretty too, Mac, but they screened her anyway!

(Hmmmm...maybe that's why she also got wanded and that "pat-down" search...hmmmmmm!)

LOL......when my wife and I flew to BPS/Sprngfld last fall for a meeting, she got pulled aside and wanded too...twice!!....I just walked through both there and back!! Unreal!! Just goes to prove,..women are always suspicious!!..ahahaaha

It's dem bumpy thangs they gots on 'em! Makes dem se-kur-ity folks s'spisush.

LOL...you should've seen all the hoopla going on the last time Kid Rock and Pam came into the store up here,..(He LOVES the place!!)....talk about bumpy thangs!!! When Mini and I saw him in the parking lot just before Xmas, (She wasn't with him this time), he autographed Mini's CD,..that was cool.

I can only imagine what the security dudes in the back room do with their zooooom lenses!! LOLOL

I bet they're VEERRRYYY suspicious of her!!! HA!!!!!

Latest posts

Back