Ok, so you guys talked me into it - been wanting a 45

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirForce

Reaction score
Even though I have the Tauras Raging Judge M513 454 Casull that shoots a 45 colt (as well as 410, and 454's), I've always wanted a 45 auto. So today on Armslist I found where a retired police officer had a Springfield XD 45 in the case with most everything and threw in a paddle holster too plus some hollow point ammo. So course I go to wally world and got a 250 round case of 45 auto ball, since I didn't want to waste any of the hollow points - they are reserved for special uninvited guests. Got everything for $550 3 - stainless steel 13 round clips, magpul type loader, conceal carry holster, paddle style holster with weapon detention (like it better) and 2 clip ammo carry. Man this thing shoots great. http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xd-service-model-45-acp/

45acp3.jpg~original

45acp2.jpg~original

A fair buy especially with the ammo. I sold many many handguns while working for Bass Pro Shop. This was probably in the top ten as far as popularity is concerned. A good solid weapon and a fair range gun. Have fun.
Mike G

I'm a Glock guy personally, but I held and shot a friend of mine's Springfield XDs and oh my goodness did the grip feel good! It nearly had me rethinking my Glock fandom. :) Great looking gun there. Besides the grip on them, I really like the 13 round magazines. My G30SF only holds 10+1, which is why I recently switched over to carrying my G19 which holds 15+1 in 9mm (50% more ammo per mag).

I'm a Glock guy personally, but I held and shot a friend of mine's Springfield XDs and oh my goodness did the grip feel good! It nearly had me rethinking my Glock fandom. :) Great looking gun there. Besides the grip on them, I really like the 13 round magazines. My G30SF only holds 10+1, which is why I recently switched over to carrying my G19 which holds 15+1 in 9mm (50% more ammo per mag).

Well, let's see... First, if I wasn't going to get a 1911 (and personally I don't think that is too likely...although my son, who shares my love of 1911s and the .45 just bought an XDS .45) it would be an XD. The XD series is a great platform.

Next, "friends don't let friends drive Glocks....." (j/k, I know a lot of competitive shooters who really like their Glocks)

Finally, look at some CorBon .45 solid copper ammo. Nasty wicked stuff. Holds together well and does seem to "mushroom" consistently.

Well, let's see... First, if I wasn't going to get a 1911 (and personally I don't think that is too likely...although my son, who shares my love of 1911s and the .45 just bought an XDS .45) it would be an XD. The XD series is a great platform.

Next, "friends don't let friends drive Glocks....." (j/k, I know a lot of competitive shooters who really like their Glocks)

Finally, look at some CorBon .45 solid copper ammo. Nasty wicked stuff. Holds together well and does seem to "mushroom" consistently.

Glocks aren't pretty. 1911's are gorgeous. However, I buy guns as utilitarian tools more so than art pieces. It's like the saying goes, "either you're the weapon and the gun is the tool, or you're the tool and the gun is the weapon." :)

Want to see "beautiful" 1911s Google Armand Swenson....... then come back and examine my Avatar closely

Wow you are not kidding. Too pretty to carry!

That was my carry gun for about 12 years.... Also, shot thousands of rounds through it for practice and competition. It is still almost as good as it was when I first got it. And, it is more beautiful today because of the memories. I finally had to have a very minor issue dealt with by a gunsmith a little while ago. Verdict was "perfect" after the repair/adjustment. When your Glock is on it's 93rd generation my 1911 will be a successful 200 year old design....LOL

That was my carry gun for about 12 years.... Also, shot thousands of rounds through it for practice and competition. It is still almost as good as it was when I first got it. And, it is more beautiful today because of the memories. I finally had to have a very minor issue dealt with by a gunsmith a little while ago. Verdict was "perfect" after the repair/adjustment. When your Glock is on it's 93rd generation my 1911 will be a successful 200 year old design....LOL

LOL... I hear ya. Well I am of the opinion that everything mechanical can be improved upon. Even 1911's have seen some improvement over the years, whether it is in design or in function. Wilson Combat is a great example of a great company taking an amazing platform of the 1911 and improving upon it.

I do know that 1911'ers will be 1911'ers for life and Glock fanboys will be Glock fanboys...I'm just glad we can see the purpose and beauty of each, although we carry what works for us.

I have bet my life on a 1911 from "powder burn" danger close out to 100 meters, or so... (don't know how much I hit, but it convinced the "bad boys" to keep their heads down). in many serious social applications. A 1911, Glock, XD, H&K, S&W; all can launch the round effectively. But, I do know that when you peek around the corner and you know a walking rattle snake is around that corner, it is way better to do it holding something you have absolute 100% confidence in. For me, that confidence is learned from experience, and it is in a 1911. If I were going out to see the elephant again, I would want "MY" 1911 on my hip or in my hand. I know that when I launch that copper clad pumpkin it will go where I was looking. And, when it gets there it will command attention and deliver an unmistakably potent message. Like Cher said; "BANG, BANG"....

Latest posts

Back