Oil leak in upper part of motor casing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Gang - I've searched and can't find the string of threads where folks mentioned (I believe on 90 and less HP Mercs) that they found oil leaking down the lower unit.

After my run yesterday when I got the boat home I noticed oil leaking down from the seal that looks like it connects the upper to lower parts of the motor (the cowl part where the engine is). I lifted the cowl off and there was a small amount of oil pooled in the bottom of the cowl area (don't know the offical words) that looks like it leaked out to the outside. I did not see specificaly where the oil was comming from in the engine area.

My question is i need to get the annual service done anyway in the next few months, is this something I should NOT run the motor for and get it in quick? Or is it OK as long as I keep my oil resivour full and no oil alarm goes on i'm OK? I guess my other question is - is this supposed to happen or do I have a leak somewhere in the oil line?

This really is a question for Bob.

I had a similar leak but it was fuel. I had a connection leak where the fuel line goes into the fuel filter. Maybe you have a similar leak on your oil reservoir.

I think some of the guys had carburetors draining when the engine was tilted causing a similar problem.

As far as continuing to use your boat, I checked the Farmer's Almanac and the solunar tables and according to those sources you shouldn't use your boat until next spring whether it is fixed or . LOL

Good Luck

Bear

Hey Bear - What's SPRING??? Here in GA we have Hot Summer and Not So hot Summer, that's it!!!

I asked my wife when I should take it in, i've got the boys on Sat AM and a trip to BPS is always a treat! But she actualy said "why not wait till it gets cold, like below 50, you might want to go fishing next week!!!"

I'll take a look this weekend at the oil fittings and see if I can see a leak.

Bumping this back up so maybe KEN will read it inbetween begging for Rob's return!!!

Hey Trep...

I'm recalling previous posts on this question...I think maybe I even posted one of the questions...have the same thing happen with my 90hp.

The response was that an oil/gas mixture leaks from the carburators and runs into the engine...the gas evaporates, leaving the oil to be acted on by gravity and start running down the motor...

If you were making long runs (think I remember that from your "catching" post that you were) you be more prone for having this happen...

az

Latest posts

Back