Oh my - what the lakes where I work hold!

• Thread starter John Astrello [URL]http://maps.google.com/maps?rls
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, now I've gone and done it.

There are two lakes on our Westlake Corporate Campus. It's about a 7-10 minute walk from my building, but during lunch today I took a stroll over there. Especially when my boss asked me yesterday what species the fish were over in the lakes that seemed to be spawning in the large clear areas near the shore. Had to be Bluegill - given the description.

Well, I walked over their to one of the areas where there is adequate shoreline access. Hundreds, simply hundreds of 3/4 - 1.25 lb bluegills stacked up either bedding; waiting to bed or trying to steal one. Dinner plates on the sand.

Well, I didn't have my good glasses on, so lots of glare and hard to clearly see (as when we have our good polaroids on!). Anyway, after about 5 minutes, I spot a couple of 3-4 lb LM cruising. I go down a bit further; take a few pics of the wildlife; and am coming back. All of a sudden, I see the bluegill moving aside and there in front of me is about a 6lber. Several more 3-4-5 lbers cruising and then big mama shows up. Had to be at least an 8 lber - maybe even a bit more. I don't think these lakes are fished at all. I need to check with security to see if I can do any 'catch and release fishing' at any time. I doubt that I would attempt to do it during the day (bad move), but I certainly would love to come by on the weekend. I'd love to bring my fly rod up here.

A large portion of the lake has tall reeds growing and the shoreline access is somewhat limited - but still a good enough area to fish well. Now I'm suppposed to be working this afternoon, but I keep thinking about the 8lb'er that I saw.

And no, I don't think that I'm missing my estimate at all - unless it's on the small side.

Oh my goodness. I'll have to bring a better camera than my cell phone; and see if I can get some pics.

PS: Link takes you to google maps and by switching to satellite you can see the lakes.

Tex
http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com...lake,+tx&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x864dd15d53

Latest posts

Back