NX750 questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Hey all:

Been shopping around on and off for a new-to-me boat. I'm looking at a 2005 NX750DC with 115hp two-stroke. Can anybody educate me on pros/cons for this glass boat? I wasn't planning on upgrading my PT175 for several more years, but I saw the ad for the used NX750 and thought I should at least check it out given the price. So any comments on the following (or any other relevant topics)?

- does the boat need hydraulic steering (the one I'm looking at doesn't have it)?

- how will the 115 perform since its a bit more than the stock 90hp, but less than the max 135hp?

- fishability?

- handling?

Thanks all in advance!

Jim - I've got the boat 1 size smaller, the 700lx with the 115 Merc. the nx750 will be about the same performance maybe a hair slower then mine, which i've had 54-55mph on my GPS lightly loaded. So i'd guess speed-wise you are looking in the low 50's top end. The motor is great, I love the 2+2 design so it idles/trolls on 2 cylinders which is great for stripers!!!

I've never seen one with the 135 Opti, as there hasen't been (as far as I know) a 135 Carb' Merc for decades, so the largest motor you would have found a few years ago would have been the 125, so the 115 is pretty close to max HP for that boat.

On Hydraulic steering, I have the standard cable steering and have no issues at all. On plane running I can steer her with 1 finger and she tracks straight with no hands (with no waves, and NO I don't do it regularly and when I tried it my hands were millimeter's off :) So I don't think the 750 would be much different, and you'll do fine without it.

Fishability - since its a bit longer and a hair wider then my 700, it all depends on what you want. I went from a PC175 to the 700lx and the front deck is HUGE to me, with a LOT of storage. Now you won't be fishing 2 bubba's on the front deck, but if thats your goal you need a 911 or 929!!! LOL

Trep

Jim - I had a '98 700 LX DC before my 896 and it was a great boat, albeit smaller than my 896. It had a 120 HP Force 2-stroke and ran like a champ. Given the 750 gives you another 1/2 foot of front deck it makes for a nice ride. The 115 should move it great. Remember, Tracker ALWAYS under powers their boats so if it is rated for 135 then the 115 is right between the 90 and the 135. I think that 135 would have been too much engine.

Biggest thing I think you should be happy with is storage. If it has adequate storage including rod locker that will hold 7' rods, good dry storage and room to put terminal tackle away then go for it. Check the batteries, plugs, on-board charger (?), electronics and of course, water test it. I don't think that the lack of hydraulics should be an issue particularly with the water you fish on.

Look at it this way. New lake house needs a new fishing boat. Tin is out and glass is in! LOL

I have a 2002 750 dual console and love it. I have no complaints. I have the 125hp motor on mine and it will haul arse! Great boat, great price.

I plan on selling mine next year to buy either a 9 series or a Legend just to give me a little more room.

take care

I have a 2001 750 with a 2002 90 on it and I love it. It runs very well. Remember it for what it is though--a 17-6 ft boat with a low HP motor; don't try to compare it to a 21 ft boat with a 200+ motor. I do not know what kind of lakes you fish, but it is not a boat for going flat out on big lakes [like Truman, Table Rock, Pomme de Terre, etc] when the waves are high. At full speed ahead in big chop you may lose control of the boat when you sky off a wave and get to bouncing [been there done that]. You can fish big lakes with it though. My dealer told me that hydraulic steering is not required; he told me this as I was discussing upgrade to a 135. At full speed ahead I can let go of the wheel without veering off course. It is a nice fishing platform. There is not a lot of room for laying rods all over the deck; it just isn't wide or long enough for that. Rod lockers can take 7 ft rods easily if they are in rod sacks of some kind; if not the tips get tangled among other rods or in wiring underneath the deck. Occasionally I will whack the windshields on a backcast because they aren't that far away; the same can be said for the back platform. I would make sure that I go bigger than 55 on a trolling motor unless the lakes you fish are dead calm most of the time. It is a pig out of the hole with a full tank of gas. It can be launched and retrieved quite easily by one man for those days you're fishing alone. It was just about a load with my 96 Explorer, but I don't know it's there behind my 2004 F150. My backseaters really appreciate the passenger console. After 6 seasons I still have had no major issues of any kind.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm going to check out the boat weekend after next when I get back to town (down in Hatteras this week for the beach vacation with the family). Big concern for me is whether the boat was run in the Bay or not (saltwater).

I'll have to weight the pros/cons of going from a 17 ft in to 17 ft glass boat. I had originally wanted an 18 to 19 rig, but this one may be too good a price to pass up! I'll keep folks posted. Who knows, maybe at the next Hot Side gala, I'll have a rig that can keep up with all the fancy boats from the regulars!:p

Jim C,

Just my opinion but with your experience in a boat you will want a bigger rig in no time. The idea of working your way up to a bigger boat is a good way to spend a lot of $$ real fast. Fundamentally, there is very little difference between a 17 footer and a 20 footer once you get in glass. Handeling tweaks, speed and rough water capabilities come to mind but other than that the old saying of "go big or go home" applies, especially if $$ or towing rig isn't an option. Now, I would not give that advice to a novice boater. You are ready for a 19-20 footer with a 225. Take it slow and you'll be fine.

Then when you think you've got it all figured out, take a trip up to St. Clair with the MVM and you'll find out real fast just how little you know!! :lol: Been there done that....good thing I am a fast learner:p

TOXIC

Thanks Tox. Believe it or not, I'm already leaning towards your advice. The ad for the NX750 that I was looking at advertised it as an 18 footer. After reading the replies, I double checked the nitro site and saw that its really a 17 footer. So I'm agreeing with you that if I'm going to go to an upgraded boat, bigger would be better.

Sorry to be missing you and Bill tomorrow. I know I'll catch up to you guys at Lake Anna more this winter. When we hook up I'll show you why!

Jim... My Champions for sale.... Just add tackle. It's Anna and Potomac tested and has the Uncle Billy seal of approval....................

BF

Jim... My Champions for sale.... Just add tackle. It's Anna and Potomac tested and has the Uncle Billy seal of approval....................

It sure does Jim. It's a great boat to fish out of. So great that even a beat up old guy recovering from serious surgery could comfortably fish out of it... Pretty quick too.

Uncle Billy

Jim- go with what you need and want and can AFFORD (idealy for cash!). The 750 is a 17.5 ft, so its not an 18fter even in a stretch. I was also thinking about "the pros/cons of going from a 17 ft in to 17 ft glass boat" I realy wanted a 17.5 to 18ft fish/ski with a 150hp, but for the cash price I could afford I could not find one in the shape I wanted. I also am limited by my tow vehicle to 3500lbs max totaly loaded, so that would have put me right at a 18fter. The 2nd console was a key for me, with my kids going fishing/boating.

For me the 17ft Nitro is great, do I want a bigger faster boat, sure who doesn't!! But no payments make it REAL nice to enjoy and I don't fish lakes like St.Clair, Champlain or the like.

Enjoy the search and get what you want.

Trep

Hey guys!

BF - we need to talk. I've seen your rig and agree its nicely maintained! I'm in the OBX with the family this week, but will be back next week. I'm accessible by e-mail in the meantime.

Trep - I'm in the same boat (ha ha) as you in that my tow vehicle is limited to 3500 lbs as well. Fortunately, its a real limit in that the vehicle was designed to handle that load towing AND a full vehicle (unlike my wife's minivan that has the same tow rating, but if you go anywhere over 2,000 lbs the vehicle is not happy!).

I also agree with your philosophy on payments so I'm looking at an affordable used boat. Both family cars are paid off and with the mortgages we have, I'm not interested in taking on new debt! Call it a cultural thing (we Asians HATE debt!).

Thanks all again for the opinions - keep 'em coming!

ps: Uncle Billy, regardless of whether I get a new-to-me rig or not, you're always welcome to ride with me!

Jiim - On tow vehicles, thats one of the reason's when my wife wanted a mini-van I helped convince her to get the Kia (nothing against US or other brands), it was the only one in 2003 that came from the factory (everyone from the factory) with the auxiliary trany cooler built in, and personal recommendations from folks towing boats loaded at the 3000lb level, gave me a comfort level. The wieght of the Kia (up to 2005) also helped, as it was the only one in 2003 to get the 5 star crash rating not due to multiple airbags and crumple zones, but from the use of extra steel i-beams, so its not the most fuel efficient van, but its sold and had no issues towing the Nitro up/down hills to KY and back, in fact the one comment Sim mentioned at the end of our trip was something like "I didn't think your Nitro would be an issue on our lakes, but I did have a great concern for that van towing your boat up the ramp and steep grades to the cabin, but I was duly impressed with the way it pulled the boat up and around, with no wheel slippage."

Keep looking and find the right boat, oh and if you live in a HOA neighboorhood don't forget to make sure it fits in the garage!! Luckily here my 40ft deep "shop" garage is easy, I keep telling Beka my next dream boat is a 911, but i'd need a truck too!! LOL

Ha ha - on the HOA! Good one Trep. I purposefully avoided any neighborhood that had one when looking for the family homestead. Man, I hate those organizations. At best, a really good one is benign; at worst, a trip through personal hell in your own home. If I had my way, they'd all be done away with. Those that defend their existence tend to be the ones running them!

As for minivans, my wife's GM tows our PT175 pretty well. But then again, that rig is less than 2,000 pounds. Works well enough and with all the airbags, crash ratings a respectable - not great, but respectable. My Nissan Murano, on the other hand, with AWD pulls like a champ. I'd have no problem running that one up to 3500 pounds towing. In the meantime, I'll keep looking around for that new-to-me boat!

J.

Latest posts

Back