Now THESE guys are DEDICATED Fishermen!

• Thread starter Mark Hofman [URL]http://espn.go.com/outdoors/fishi
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I would have chummed the water with my breakfast.

MOFish you big sissy------run a tow line through the ear holes and a leader out the nose with some plastics and ya got scented Marlin bait.

Jeeze, don't you ever blue water fish, LOL

TOXIC

Toxic - the only blue water I've ever been close to is the stuff in my grandmother's toilet bowl.

Oh, and going into THAT room after she has just left -- and being able to finish my business -- disqualifies me from being a sissy!

Man, that's nasty!! I think I would've put a Grateful Dead hat on it and let continue to drift...

OH MY GOD. That is unfrickinbelievable! Gee, why didn't they just stick it in the livewell?? SHEESH!

Here's something else in the article that caught my attention:

"The vessel was reported overdue Thursday, Aug. 22, four days after it was to return to the United States from a smuggling trip to Cuba, according to a Coast Guard release"

Uhhhhh.. So did they tell the Coast Guard, "We're gonna go smuggle some Cubans.. We'll be back on the 18th." I mean, what's up with THAT???

This article was just WRONG at SO MANY LEVELS.....

I didn't see where they mentioned how much it weighed.

And, no Chad, you don't put it in the livewell (unless you borrowed or rented the boat.)

It kind of like forgetting a a dozen or so nightcrawlers in your tacklebox in the trunk.

T

EXACTLY what I was thinkin----Let's see, we're goin' down to Cuba to smuggle some aliens and we'll file our float plans with the Coast Guard so they will know when we are "due" in----Wanna take a little wager on how many are really flotin out there------hundreds are fish food. Mac, after reading you post this GD song popped into my head---Floatin,

down Miami way,

Found my head floatin in the bay

sung to the tue of "Truckin" for us Dead Heads

TOXIC

"The human head weights 12 pounds." - from the movie 'Jerry McGwire'

Did you see the part about "We have people reported missing from Cuba" Of course they're missing...they live in Florida!!! Also the clothes identified the body as a Cuban migrant....so now Cubian migrants have dress codes? What's up with that!!

Barb

A 12 pound head is a keeper. Is there a limit on heads?

Bear

Bear - I think they measure by circumfirence not weight LOL

Come on guys, that was somebody's dad, or brother, or son. No matter how disgusting the story was, have a little respect for the guy that was willing to sacrifice his very life just for a shot at the free enterprise we take for granted every day, in the greatest nation in the world! How many of you would strap your A$$ to an inner tube and try to float 500 miles for a chance to work minimum wage? We are a country of immigrants, I have much respect for those people who come here with nothing, outwork the majority of lazy Americans and achieve the "American" dream. Unfortunately, that fella never got his chance, legal or without green card. But somewhere a mother, a wife, children are all waiting word to hear how life is in America. They will never hear back.

This kind od stuff happens all the time down here. Where I am in Brevard county, it must be like some kind of current path for those who drown in the waters between Cuba and South Florida, because they always drift this way.

I bet those dudes weren't delaying because they wanted to fish more, they were waiting to get the alcohol out of their system...............sa

Or even worse, Rob... It's likely that his whole family is floating out there with him.

(Thanks for bringing us down, BTW!! LOL!)

OK then, on a lighter note, maybe they stayed out there, because the dude was telling them where he saw all the fish before he got reeled in...................sa

Rob's right. I probably shouldn't have posted this the way I did. It just amazed me that these guys could find a floating human head, take it out of the water, put it in a plastic bag, and keep fishing. This stuff happens not only in the Gulf, but in the south Pacific and Indian Ocean. Pirates didn't disappear when Blackbeard died.

Rob - I don't think for a minute that any of us take the loss of life as a joke. But this post was more about, at least to me, the very strange concept that they could FISH after that head came up!

Wait just a minute Rob--- You are taking pity on someone who, tries to enter this country illegally, drain our resourses, take jobs away from Americans (also with familys) or worse yet enter into the welfare system? Sorry my friend, I don't agree. Now, this same dude enters LEGALLY and through the right channels, he has the right to persue the American Dream just the same as we all do. I don't think you would feel that way if he got your job. The only reason we have "lazy" Americans is that the system made them lazy. Paying more $$ for having more kids, no job requirements etc., etc., There are hundreds dying in the dessert at the Mexican border now also, what are we supposed to do? Open the borders and just let everybody in? Not a chance. My suggestion is to put the military on the border and NO ONE gets in illegally. We cannot support and protect the world.

Sorry for the rant, I guess being in DC I see a lot more of this type of thing than most.

Nothing Personal Rob,

TOXIC

Oi que vey.

You guys are talking past each other. Rob's right. We shouldn't joke about someone's death - anyone's death. "A single death diminishes us all." I don't want a repeat of the jokes I heard after the space shuttle exploded.

Trep is right. I put it up, incredulous that a boat load of sportsmen could just keep fishing after they find a floating human head.

Toxic's right. We have a problem with illegal immigration. We're blessed as a nation, and many people want in on our success. But we also can't solve all the world's problems. (I especially like that "bring the troops home and put 'em on the border" idea!)

Now, in the immortal words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

The reason we don't bring the troops home and put them on the border is due to a change in US policy after WWII. Our government felt that our Isolationist policy was not working. It did not keep us out of either World War so a new policy was drafted. The Idea is that we will no longer wait until the problem is in our backyard, instead we will address it on their soil. We deviated from this plan in Vietnam when we insisted on fighting that war in the south instead of in Hanoi.

To quote Barney Fife "You have to nip it in the bud!"

T

I'm with you 100% Toxic. I don't support the welfare system at all, and I do believe we have allowed people to become lazy. It drives me nuts every time on my way home from WORK I stop to get milk at the convenience store near the projects, and theres Lawanda who lives for free on my tax dollars, spending her food stamps, our money again, on beer and lottery tickets! While her poor 5 kids play in the street, filthy and in rags! You just want to slap people like that, and then you realize, oh yeah I can't....she's pregnant AGAIN! I merely meant we shouldn't take someone's death lightly. I do believe they should try to come to this country legally, but sometimes that isn't possible. I do have a problem with them collecting welfare. How in the $#@% do they do that with no proper ID? But at the same time, I would gladly trade 100 mexicans, cubans, even Canadians (had to Pierre) just to get rid of 1 lousy flag burning activist. Those people need to go live in Cuba and see what real problems are. As for anyone getting my job, right now they can have it! LOL, seriously, you have work awful damn hard to beat me at my game and take my spot, and if somebody did, more power to them, because I know it wasn't easy. And I didn't take it personally. Just not like that. I think it's fine to disagree and that's why I enjoy this board so much. We're a bunch of misfits that agree to disagree and yet can still rib each other, and talk fishing like long lost friends. My views are probably much closer to yours than yuo think Tox. But I just get outraged and some of the ludicrous things I see each day. We could probably argue one anothers point all day, meaning being on the same side.

Or in the words of the black flies, "we have to nip him in the butt!"

BTW, Gov Pataki just issued legislation to increase our local State trooper barracks by and addtional 120 state troopers to help patrol the Canadian border. Pierre, would ya stop smuggling cheap canadian beer across! Actually, the problem is that Canada is much more liberal and especially in Montreal intl airports. Almost anyone can come in, and then find a way across the wooded border at night into the USA. That's how the Y2K terrorist from Seattle got in, and some of the 9/11 yahoos. They then get a student visa to come to the USA and head for NYC only 6 hours from Montreal!

Rob - My biggest problem, over and above the welfare GAME, is in lot's of States, including GA, right now our idiot politians locally are passing laws allowing ILLEGALs to get drivers licenses, get "legally" accepted to GA colleges - they are bluring the line too much. These folks do NOT have insurance, do NOT pay takes, get most of their $$ under the tables and MY tax dollars are paying to support them.

I hear ya Trep, so be sure to go vote come election day.....Neeley for president! As the top ranking member of his staff, I promise to address this and many other pertinent issues such as corona content in college lunches. Mac as VP will be on a world wide scales n tales tour raising money to cut the national debt and reduces taxes so that every family can afford a new 911 CDC. Capital hill is a little off in outerspace right now and the voters need to send a wake up call.

Thanks for understanding my point Rob. I was a little afraid that I was going to come off as "extreme" and cold and I'm really not. Somebody's death is always a tragedy but it really gets my goat that if, for instance, I went to Mexico, or Cuba, or Sierra Leone, or Nigeria, or Ethopia, or Saudia Arabia, or Packistan, or just about any other country they would not feed me, give me healthcare, give me shelter, educate my daughter, give me medical help, job training and on and on and on...... T_Mann, you know that's bull the Monroe Doctrine back in the 1800's appointed us protectors of the world and we never had any true isolationist swing. Besides, I am not talking about shutting the borders down, I am talking about enforcing immigration laws already on the books.

Want to really start a discussion, I think we ought to turn Saudia Arabia into the biggest catbox in the world and TAKE all the oil we need.

TOXIC

I prefer a parking lot for our bombers and tanks, but we can discuss details after the glow subsides!

I don't think Cubans can get here legally, can they??? I mean, if I wanted to immigrate to Britain, I'm sure there are ways for me to call them up and get it all arranged.... I don't think Cubans can make a phone call and hop on a jet to a better life. That's probably why we grant them something along the lines of refugee status, so maybe an inner tube is as legal as it gets...

I actually have a good bit of respect for someone who has enough courage to jump on a frickin inner-tube and ride 500 miles across the ocean in hopes of a better life for their family... That takes balls, ya know??

Here's something I find ironic... The 'group' who are most vocal against illegal immigration were the ones who were fighting the hardest to keep Elian Gonzales when he floated over here.. There was a bunch of rhetoric about how 'un-American' it was to send HIM back, but nobody seems to want to keep the other 17 trillion that come across every year..... Odd.

T.

Good point, I would rather see them exist with no oil $$. Anybody want to venture a guess on how my BILLIONAIRES there would be in say, 5 years if the US stopped purchasing oil. There are still some problems with fuel cells, from what I read they are not yet reliable over the long run and the new hybred gas/electric are even worse. Your comment is funny about immigration because the President of Mexico (Vincinte Fox) made that same statement in a meeting with GW. He fely that the US should open the Mexican border and pump trillions in aid to Mexico so that its citizens would not want to leave. Laughable is an understatement. Enough politics, let's go fish Lake Cunningham for carp-----

TOXIC

I just wonder how well a fuel cell society would work... I'm not sure, but wouldn't you have to charge a fuel cell like any other battery? If so, then wouldn't that lead to a huge spike in electricity demand? Don't most electricity generating facilities run off of fossil fuels (i.e. OIL!)??

Ok, here's my question.... Engineers have developed synthetic motor oil, synthetic grease, and even synthetic 2-cycle oil that is BETTER than the dino-juice... Why has NOBODY tried to create synthetic gasoline yet??? Wouldn't that solve A BUNCH of problems????

I was reading a poplular mechanics issue some time back. There is a little old man in Detroit that has patents on all the glass in cars and airplanes. He is a bonified super genius. He has a working prototype "orbital" engine that runs on water, air, and sunshine. Laugh? It puts out more HP than most 6 cylinder petro motors on the market, and eliminates emissions, ie, exhaust system, gas tank, oil, etc. Direct front wheel drive. He has the automotive industry and the federal government VERY nervous. I mean after all, what will they do to make up the billions of dollars they collect in taxes on fuel each year? It would put millions out of work, but employ equal millions in new lines of production and engineering. He's got my vote! You should have seen this thing, looked like it came right from the sci-fi channel, but it WORKS! And it's very quiet too! Plus it stores energy for cloudy days. I think the government needs to get behind him and make it happen. If they're are REALLY interested in our fuel crisis and environment.

Iceland is moving toward becoming the first fossil-fule-free country. Their approach will be to use hydroelectric and steam plants to generate electricity. Some of that electricity is used to separate hydrogen from the oxygen in sea water. The hydrogen is then used to power cars, trucks and buses. Homes are heated by geothermal energy (which they possess in spades because of all the volcanic activity on the island).

Those folks are looking FAR down the road!

Fuel cells in spacecraft not only generate electricty, but the by-product is drinkable water. That technology is part of what made the Apollo moon landings possible. We didn't have to haul gallons of water up into space and off to the moon.

Here's another problem with our Persian Gulf friends. They used to ship crude oil to our refineries, which processed it into all kinds of end-user products. Today, they're sending graduate students over to OUR engineering schools to learn how to build refineries OVER THERE. They'll eventually stop sending us crude and only sell us the refined stuff. Talk about price spikes! Get yer KY out, cause that's gonna hurt.

MO - I actualy got the KY on this one the first time!!!

And lest anyone question the statement abour our universities training Gulf States grad students, the information comes from Dr. Klaus Timmerhaus, a University of Colorado chemical engineering professor who wrote THE book on economics of chemical plant design. He told me all about it when I was sitting in his living room last summer. He's a HUGE advocate of moving away from petroleum fuels and toward alternate fuel technology.

Trep

"MO" and "KY" - I never thought I would see those two used in the same thread and mean something other than two states.

And, can I say WOW! Where else on the internet can you go from a discussion about severed human heads to fishing, to international relations, to politics, to engineering, to...

This place is GREAT!

dem bassus luv sparkles. But I digress LOL! See honey, I told you all bass fisherman were really smart deeeeep down inside, we just don't want anyone to know. Now, where's my cigar, my Corona's getting warm, and are you soaking the chips so I can smoke the ribs for this weekend.

You guys make me proud to get out BOTH my Scooby-do and Snoopy rods.

TOXIC

My favorite quote:

"How come all the guys who are truly qualified to run this country are busy driving cabs and cutting hair!"

- George Burns

Latest posts

Back