Not too pleased with BPS customer service

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich D

Reaction score
I got to vent a little here.

For Christmas, I received 2 Daiwa line counter reels and 2 7'6" Catmaxx rods. A couple days after Christmas, while spooling the reels I noticed that the ceramic was busted out of the top eye on one of the rods. I called BPS (no stores in my region) and was told to return it to them, and they would exchange it. Also, I was told to include a receipt for shipping charges and they would reimburse me. No problem. I kept the original shipping tube, so 2 weeks ago I packed up the rod and went to Kinko's and shipped it back along with the receipt for $28 shipping charges and a note explaining quite clearly that I just wanted to exchange the rod and reimbursement of shipping charges.

This past weekend I received a BPS gift card in the mail, labeled return merchandise refund, for $49.99. That is the purchase price of the rod. No reimbursement of the return shipping and no mention of the additional $13.95 shipping charge I will get hit with when I order a replacement rod.

After I fumed on it a little while I called BPS again and explained the above. The person I spoke with was very polite and sympathetic but didn't have an answer as to what I should do, but offered to pass it on. Well it has been 48 hours and no response. I fired off an email to their Customer Service to try and get it resolved that way.

It just bugs me that first a defective product was shipped (hard to catch I admit, but I worked QA in the past and I would have caught it), then having to go through this BS for what should be a simple exchange. Once this is resolved, I think I am going to take my business elsewhere. Everyone makes mistakes, but it shouldn't take this long to resolve this.

Ah well, thanks for listening!

Rich D

I'm surprised that BPS promised something and didn't deliver. I've been very fortunate in that all my dealings with BPS have been well handled. I'm also surprised they told you to pay shipping up front, to be reimbursed. When I return something to BPS they always send me the return shipping labels.

I hear ya'!

I have had to call BPS for the last 3 years in a row and STILL do not recieve ANY catalogs or flyers and I used to get ALOT!

I'm calling someone tonite and if they can't get it straight...I AM DONE WITH BPS!:angry:

No catalogs? They must really have you on their list. I get plenty of catalogs throughout the year to tempt me from both BPS and Cabelas.

Look in public filings for some of their VP/Officers names. Address a letter with your complaints to one of them at corporate headquarters. Watch for things to happen quickly.

I dont get catalogs either....and I am on the National Pro Staff.

I was told that I didnt buy anything rom the catalog so I was dropped off the mailing list.

Mini

WTF?

I spend thousands on their boats and at BPS in Cincy and they're taking me off their mailing list because I won't order from their catalog?

I like the catalog becasue I know what I'm gonna' buy at BPS and to see what's new.

Do they think I'm gonna' order a boat from their catalog?

Total BS!

Tee,

The catalog division is run different from the retail stores. All you have to do is order something, and the catalogs will come.

How do you think I feel? I spent 17 weekends last year for in-store promotions....and they dont send me a catalog.... Heck the year my picture was in it, I didnt get one!

Mini

Good news Mini...

I just got off the phone and they're gonna' change their tactics!:lol:

Just call them back and let them know you use the catalog as I do...to know what your gonna' purchase at BPS(and which one) and they'll add you back on the list.

Also make sure you are registered at your local BPS so as to get the sale flyers.

Although they agreed they are seperate divisions....they don't understand our needs.:(

I also told them, "you can't order a boat from the catalog ....can you"?

Catalog division settin' on their thumbs? I think soooooo

When you're in the store, just ask for a Master Catalog. They're happy to give you one free of charge...especially if you're buying something. I get two of everything...somehow my wife's name got on their list. It's good to be on the mailing list because sometimes they have catalog specials that aren't advertised inside the store but they will honor the price if you ask. I saved 30 bucks on an Extreme reel for a Christmas present by knowing that. I also registered on their website so I also get e-mails on specials that aren't in the mail too.

Harpo

For crying out loud....Cabela's? I can give you ten accounts of poor customer service on ONE board CURRENTLY....

All companuies have their faults folks....alot of it depends on the customer as far as service goes. Be polite and within reason and things can work out.

Tee, Tracker buys the space in the catalogs....they are ads. Glad you will be getting your catalog. Now I need to get one myself :) I think I will run up to Auburn Hills this weekend and get mine!

By the way I am sure you have noticed that since the catalog and the retail sides are seperate, you dont find ALL of the catalog items in the store. Nor do you find all the items in the store, in the catalog. Same with the webpage.

Mini

I'm thinking you guys just talk tough, but when you get on the phone you're pussy cats. But if you are tough nuts and that is how you talk to customer service folks, I can see why they jerk you around, which by the way, is a recognized pasttime among CSR for dealing with tough nuts.

How is the catalog division supposed to know that you go into the store to shop? Do you want BPS sending out catalogs willy-nilly at great expense and passing on the cost to you. I can hear you now ... "what do you mean I have to pay higher prices in the store to support catalog shoppers?!"

And oh by the way, do you thank them for footing the bill on extra shipping costs when you choose to have out of stock items later? Or do you take a tough nut stance and say it's their fault for being out of stock. Maybe they should cuts shipping costs by removing that item and making you re-order, but then you'd whine about that.

If you want to solve BPS CS problems look in the mirror and make the necessary adjustments.

And oh by the way, if you worked in QA, then why did it take two days to realize that something was wrong with the rod tip? Because people aren't perfect.

I work part time for Bass Pro and I know what our policy on customer service is. You bust your butt to make it right. If it didn't happen for you guys try again. Like it was mentioned there is such thing as human error. To quit a company for one screw up will soon lead you to no where to shop. Is your job so unforgiving of you?

I've seen employees lead to the door for giving bad service to a customer. Ofcourse it's your right to shop where you want.

fatrap

I particularly like their club program where you can link through a club site to the BPS catalog site and money gets rebated to the club. How many companies do that for you?

Marty and Fatrap...I don't think either of you have a clue what I'VE been thru with BPS or Tracker....or you would understand!

Do you think bad Customer Service would be tolerated by the US Air Force ?

I do know a thing or two about CS.....

I have naver had an issue with BPS customer service or Cabelas for that matter. What Marty typed about attitude with the CS people has a lot of merit. I used to work in retail CS and i know what its like to be treater poorly by a customer and what its like to be given some respect and treated nicely. In CS you will always try to help the nice person and the person you treated poorly, well they get poor service. So when i have a problem im nice and give them a chance to make it right, 99.9% of the time they do. If they dont i politely ask for a manager and let them deal with it.

I have not returned many things to bass pro but they did take back a motorguide charger that i had for almost a year after it failed for the 5th time. They didnt have to but i explained my plight, they mentioned they hada lot of complaints. I asked if there was anything they could do and they offered to exchange it, so i tok that offer and got my guest 2630 that i still use today.

The one time i have had to deal with Cabelas was when i bought 2 garmin 240 fishfinders. One was new other obviously used. They overnighted me a new one, sent a call tag for the old one and gave me a $50 gift card in the box with the new one.

I didn't get a catlog either but I still get Victoria Secret....why I don't know. :D

I can only speak for the BPS in Nashville but I have always had great service there. No problems with returns, they credit me when I have bought something and it's onsale on their web site, and many of the gentleman in fishing have spent loads of time just chatting with me and helping me with baits and tips.

I love BPS; however, I did not love my Nitro or the dealer I bought it from. I keep those two things separate.

No sir, I probably don't have a clue what you've been through with BPS or Tracker, but I'm sure your issue, though obviously traumatic, is more of the exception that the rule. If the intent is to convince me that BPS policy is to eschew good customer service, then I say bunk.

I've had bad experiences with AF customer service, but then again I expected it as the Army rarely counts on good AF support as the rule. However, I didn't paint the whole AF as sorry based on those few occurences.

????

You don't have to defend them for me Marty;)

And as far as Bad CS from the Air Force...you didn't get at WPAFB....guarantee you that:lol:

I can honestly say that the times that I have had to deal with BPS CS were always a good experience. Once when I ordered one of my Crankin Sticks, it came broken. I called them and they sent a new one out asap and told me to send the broken one back in the new tube. The two times that I have used the in store CS were the same, no questions asked. I got my money back on one transaction and swapped rods on the other.

As far as Tracker goes, I've owned two of their boats and never had to use their CS on either.

Steve

I haven't ordered anything from a BPS catalog in YEARS and I still get all kinds,....Fishing Master, Hunting, Hunting Master, Off Shore(!?), RedHead, etc....I even get the Cabela's Master and some Tackle Trader/Retailer thing from SWEDEN!! WTF!!:blink:

WPAFB? That's not an Air Force Base, that's a museum ... :lol::p:lol:

And the best I might add!:lol:

Four HUGE buildings now with the IMAX...it's quite awesome:cool:

I may be a lil' hard on Tracker and BPS but, in all honesty...they did come thru in the end.

BUT, one should not have to endure any of it if the right roads were takin' to get there....

THAT's my beef;)

Had to demand respect to get it.......I got it and then some.

Mac,

It's cause your'e WORLDWIDE!!!!! :)

Teri,

Vicky Secret? NICE!

Now what am I gonna be thinking of all afternoon? I can tell you this, Mac wont be involved! (Thank God!)

Mini

Now I will say that clerk [or associate] to me interface at the store is a bit lacking because thay always seem to be chatting with the likes of Teri C and others like her ... :lol::lol:

LMAO @ Mini,..........Dude,...PROMISE me I'll NEVER be in ANY of your "thoughts"!! I've seen how you act on those before and it's TERRIFYING!!!:eek:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!:eek:

That's just wrong!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW:huh:

Marty,

I worked 10 years retail, 5 years customer service, 2 of which were in a call center for a phone company. I give every csr that I speak with to the same level of respect and professionalism that I expect to be given in return. I will say that every person I did speak with had been extremely polite.

This should have been a simple and straight foward exchange, not a transaction requiring multiple contacts. It was spelled out quite clearly in the letter enclosed with the return and to the original CSR I spoke to. Nor should it take 48 hours (now 72) to contact a customer with a resolution or in the very least, a status report.

I did not originally ask for reimbursement on the shipping charges, it was offered and I do expect any offers to be honored. Although I did comment to the original CSR that I thought that was nice that they do that.

As for why it took me a couple days to notice, that was how long it took me to remove them from the shipping tube. When opened, I slid one end out saw there were two rods and left them in the tube so they would not get damaged. Once I opened the rods and attached the reels, it took me about 10 minutes to notice the problem, since it was the second rod I spooled.

Yes, mistakes do happen and I expect nothing more than for them to be corrected in a prompt and timely manner.

Rich D

Mini, sorry to disappoint you but I don't own anything from Victoria Secret. What is it with people and lingerie? Wouldn't you just rather get neked??? Less chance of backing out. :lol: Guess you'll just have to look at the pictures for you afternoon thoughts or talk to some of the chics on your Myspace. :p

A decade ago, before BPS opened their "fancy" Atlanta store, and still did business out of the fomer farmer's market just down the street. I really admired the customer service. Buy a reel....what kind of line can we spool it with for you? Something broken? Here's a replacement! Let me show you a different technique for using that....Let us know how we can help you out...

Nowadays, I walk on eggshells in their store, waiting for the other customer service shoe to drop on my head. "No, we only spool reels for free if they cost $100 or more." "I'll see if I can find someone from that department," (disappears and never returns). "I don't know where those are located," (turns and resumes stocking shelves).

Employees lacking enough training or service skills, (many) poor checkout experiences, mismarked shelf pricing, dwindling categories, branded products that get repackaged every year so you can't tell which end is up when it comes to product quality and consistency.

It's still a great concept. The stores look great. But they are doing it on a huge scale now, and the "corner tackle shop" atmosphere that they once managed to capture even in 100,000 square feet is gone. Same thing that happened to Walmart. That helpful service and customer appreciation that was once a cornerstone of the organization has gotten watered down. Not entirely gone. Just heavily diluted.

Too funny....

Nothing from Vicky's? Heck Mac has a whole closet full (his wife's)! Dont tell him how I know...lol

As far as not knowing what it is about lingere.....Its just wrapping paper and everyone likes to open a nice gift :)

Mini

good point Mini...

But I would still rather see it laying on the floor....

LOL

az

I just hope Mac doesn't wear them. That's a mental picture I'll refrain from. Guys the other issue........well just do what your gonna do. The world goes on.

fatrap

I have NEVER had a problem with BPS.. Before there was a store anywhere near me I ordered a lot from their catalog. I don't how how their customer service was back then because I never had need of it. Now I go to the store when I need something. The sales people I ask questions of seem to go out of their way to help me and also to get me the best deal they possibly can. I have had to take a couple of things back and each time it was as easy as pie and no problem at all. The Tracker section, especially the parts counter have always been very helpful and friendly, even to the point of giving me certain things no charge.

I guess it's hard for me to sympathize with some of these stories because of my good luck

I hope it stays that way.

Uncle Billy

I would like to add that a merchandiser for BPS had seen this post and emailed me. He agreed that I should have been contacted by now, and gave me a contact at Customer Service. It shows that there are plenty of people that care about service.

However it has been 3 business days since my second phone call and 24 hours since my email without a response and the BPS website states: "Submit a question to our customer service team who will reply to you by email within the next business day."

If there was a local store, I am sure none of this would have occured as it would have been an easy exchange.

Rich D

SO we are being watched by big brother.................................................

BF

Bruce,

If I had any type of outdoor/marine/fishing business, I would be sure to have someone monitoring these message boards!

Rich D

Rich D. Yep me too, we have it all here. There is nothing you can not ask and get a reply. No matter what the field.

Love this place

BF

Mo,

I just heard that this morning and have already posted a retraction!

Rich D

Latest posts

Back