Northern Pike on Spinnerbaits

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Zuber

Reaction score
All you Pike fisherman out there...question for you:

The bite here in Southern Michigan is ON...

I've been doing great on spinnerbaits tipped with chompers. Here's the problem...I've never had a pike break me off when using spinnerbaits until this year...lost 3 Terminators already!!! I'm toying with the idea of using a wire leader with very small rubber bands to keep it from sliding up or down the spinnerbait...anybody tried this?

Anyone have a better plan???

I'm using new 14# Trilene XT...

thanks,

az

Andy,

I have used leaders with spinner baits. The only thing I noticed was the swivel picks up a few more weeds. Instead of rubber bands, I wrap a couple of loops of monofilament around the bend and tie it off. For my specific pike baits, I use a "super" line and a drop of super glue.

Have fun with the gators!

(If you like to eat fish, gut one, put it in a shallow baking dish or wrap in aluminum foil with some white wine, garlic, butter and onions, cover and bake at around 300 til done. DELICIOUS!)

Rich D

Andy,I would definitely use a wire leader-15 to 30lb.I was bass fishing yesterday and catching an occasional pike when I looked down to see a musky follow my bait right to the boat before he took it.It makes you real nervous fighting a 13lb. 36" musky with no leader on!Good luck!

I have done it both ways. If you use mono, use a heavy line and check it often for teeth cuts. On spinning gear I have gotten away with fireline and not needed leaders. With that said, if all I would be going for is Pike for the day, I would probably opt for a leader just to make sure. Like Rich said above, they are good eating too.

Mike

Latest posts

Back