Northern Florida

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Weinstein

Reaction score
I live around Cincinnati and heading South for a week of freshwater fishing after Thanksgiving. Like to go all the way to S. Florida, but 20+hrs on the road is a bit much...especially trailering my Z-9...so I thought Northern Florida???? Air and water temps seem fine. Appreciate the pointers....and I don't mind navigable rivers.

Define how far East or West you are in the Panhandle (considered Northern Florida) Western part of the state you are looking at lakes, go to the East and a little South you have the St Johns river. You need to get down as far as Palatka for good bassin. Might want to consider a Guide on your boat. Cheaper and better chances. I lived in JAX for 2 years.

Thanks Toxic....coming from Cincinnati with a guy in my boat already, so I'm trying to just find good water for Bass, fire up the GPS/structure scan, and enjoy) assuming it's late in the year (after Thanksgiving) for Southern AL, GA, or MS, etc. JAX's only about 13 hrs, not bad at all. Looked at the map and looks like there's more water there than Guntersville??? Got any preferences as far as 'base camp' hotel/ramps, etc?

Big Dan would be the one to quizz. I considered myself a tourist even though I lived and tournament fished there for the 2 years. I had a lift and dock at my house so I didn't ramp unless I was heading down to the Harris Chain or some nearby lakes. Just be careful where you stay and empty the boat every night.

Thanks again Toxic...guess I'm heading for the St John's river...lots of fishable water from what the maps look like. I'll check Big Dan and ask one mre question....should I carry a handgun...snake loads?

I never did. Remember the further South you go the better the St Johns gets. I lived straight across the river from Doctors Lake and spent some time in there. It was an easy run across the river. Tides are pretty extreme, keep an eye on your tide chart. I spent more than one afternoon in the back of a creek waiting for the tide to come back in so I could get out.

My backyard.....
Picture 052sm.jpg

Reactions: cq
Lake Siminole is at the Florida and Georgia border with some good bass fishing. I can't think the names of any hotels but there are some nice places to stay. I will try and find out the names of these places and post when I can.

I was looking at Seminole, buzzbuster, and thank you for the comment. Fished Guntersville for years, but guys I go with resist checking other lakes in AL, GA etc even though I (personally) don't think Guntersville is what it was 15 years ago when we initially started going down there.

I figured Northern Florida because the average temp seemed a bit warmer (after Thanksgiving) and there seems a lot more water's at St John's to fish, although Toxic warned me about tides and I've not checked 'low water issues yet.

Thanks for helping....long drive and I'd like to do the right thing.....

Steve there are many places to stay and I believe it was at a state park where our small bass club stayed at when we went a few years back. They say Wingates Lodge is a good place. We will be fishing back there at the end of February. I hope you have a good trip where ever you decide to go.

Steve there are many places to stay and I believe it was at a state park where our small bass club stayed at when we went a few years back. They say Wingates Lodge is a good place. We will be fishing back there at the end of February. I hope you have a good trip where ever you decide to go.

Thanks, but are you referring to Siminole or St John's? Lately, with the Artic air so south and the possible barometric influence slowing fishing (?), seems safer to go more south than less, don't you think? Thanks for any help you can give since I've never been so far south.

Siminole (sp), The lake is on the Georgia/Florida line. Has some good bass and the spring season starts early in the year. Good luck but be careful, the lake has a lot of timber. Hope this helps. :)

OK.....I looked at Seminole and was impressed.....nice fishery, but I'm worried about this Artic blast and it's effect on fishing...thinking the further south the better for my trip the week after Thanksgiving. The average temps are about 4-5 degrees higher around Jacksonville than Seminole. Make sense? I'd go even further south, but hate to travel more than 13hrs! That's a lot pulling a boat.

Can't do anything about the weather so you have a good point about going further south. Not sure how much difference the temps will be. I hope you catch many and big where ever you decide to go. Just be careful and enjoy yourself.

Arctic blast? That’s over as we will be at 75 this Monday in Eufaula, Alabama (about 100 miles north of Lake Seminole)… of course this is the South so we will be back down to 32 the next night! This is weather in the South so you are trying to hit a constantly moving target this time of year. You may just have to check the weather forecast before you leave and make you decision where to go then.

Latest posts

Back