Non treated gasoline

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuthernBoy

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Nitro z19 sport with the 200 pro xs. I haven't had the boat out since July or August and was just thinking, that I never put any fuel Stabilizer in it. I probably won't have the boat out until late February or March.

I'm guessing I should go ahead and add some to slow down any further degradation in the fuel, but should I just add new, higher premium gas when I take it out again? Any other additives that would be good to add for the old gas that's in it? I'm guessing I've probably got about a half tank.

Thanks in advance

My 250 pro xs four stroke specifies only 89 gas, I would not add premium gas just because you didn't add fuel treatment. They are added to cut down on the ethanol in the fuel, adding premium would only intensify the effect.
That being said, an Optimax 150 two stroke I had required middle level octane and I never added any treatment to it.

Do you use REC fuel with no ethanol? If so, just add a few ounces of Red Stabil. If you use regular fuel, add the blue Stabil and then add a bottle of dry gas to absorb the water when you take the boat out this spring. I highly recommend REC fuel for any motor other than your daily vehicle.

Adding premium gas doesn't remove any water you have in the fuel tank. I agree with 8pt172 Stabil now and dry gas when you go out fishing this spring. Just to be safe I would make your first trip on a smaller body of water in case you do run into problems. And don't run your tank to low first time out. Any chance you have a inline water separator. If you have access to your gas tank you can get water test strips . Good luck.

Ever since rebuilding the fuel sysyem in my 2008 nitro 189 sport with an Opti 115 i havent had any issues... i run non ethanol fuel at 91 without exception... no additives... but we also only run mercury or quicksilver DFI oil

While I always add Sta-Bil late fall just in case really nasty weather keeps me off the lake for long periods, I wonder if protecting fuel during non-running times, may be overstated. A few years back do to circumstances beyond my control, I did not treat the fuel in the IO Ski boat for two years. I shot the port injectors with spray carb cleaner, cleaned the fuel pump, and It started right up. Lucky? Maybe. Just sharing my experience,

being very old and slow i spent most of the summer about 1 hour at a time trying to get my 95 60 hp merc to run properly. after lots of carb spray and checking fuel lines i removed all the old gas from the tank and filled up with no additave gas . boat then ran perfect full gas tank and 500 lb of fat old men. gas was always treated .even treated may not last .

One thing to remember about Stabil fuel treatment. Once opened, directions states it has a open bottle use date of two years.

If its non-ehtanol fuel, I wouldn't worry much. A few months of age on it will only see a minor loss of octane rating. If its ethanol gas, drain the old fuel or syphon it down, flush the lines with fresh fuel change the filter, add fresh non ethanol fuel and go fishing. Use the drained fuel for mowers, chainsaws, weed wackers, etc.

Company owned Shell stations mid and premium grades (89/91) are ethanol free. Mercury requires either a ethanol removeal additive be added to your fuel or non ethanol fuel. Failure to do so will result in warranty denial.
With all that said if you're running non ethanol fuel don't worry about it. Adding anything now other than a water remover won't do anything for the fuel in the lines and at the injectors (if you're not running ethanol you don't need a fuel additive for water). I don't add anything to my lawn and garden equipment other then close the fuel valves and let them run out the fuel in the system. They sit for five to six months and fire right up every year.

My 2021 200 pro XS owners manual states the motor was designed to burn 87 octane with up to 10% ethanol content. It would be hard deny a warranty claim on this basis. It also says nothing about adding an ethanol additive. I have Run many gallons of this fuel through my boat with zero problem In the last two years.

Latest posts

Back