No Water Pressure?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric R

Reaction score
Hi all,

My newly acquired '98 185 Sport SF will not read any water pressure when out on the water. The engine seems to run fine, but when I took it out for a test drive, I couldn't get any pressure to show on the gauge.

Could this be a gauge problem? Possibly a wiring/hose problem? or even worse, an engine problem? Where should I start in diagnosing the issue?

Thanks!

Could be several things but need to know motor make, horse power and even serial # for anyone to chime in.....

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of info. I'm pretty new to this stuff but am learning fast! It's a 1998 Mercury 115, serial # 0G604841.

If the "tell-tale" stream is the small, solid stream of water that shoots out of the side of the motor, yes, that was there the entire time.

Thank you both for your replies!

That is a pressure operated gauge. Remove the hose from the back of the gauge and with a LITTLE air pressure, check to see if the needle moves. If it does, there is more than likely a clog from debris at the fitting on the block, a kink in the hose, etc. ;)

I'm assuming a kink/clog is better than it being a "no-pressure" issue. I'll check and see if I can run some air into it.

Thanks again!

That's correct. Your motor has "HVC" or "high-velocity-cooling", which is a low-pressure system....but...high volume. You should see a solid, constant stream at all rpm's.....;)

If you are running this motor and no alarms I agree clogged hose or malfunctioning gauge.

If no water from the tell tail, I would change out impeller pump.

You guys are great. When you say no "alarms", are you referring to an audible alarm or a light somewhere on the dash?

Latest posts

Back