no power, wont get on plane

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1998 896 sc

Reaction score
I have a major problem with my boat it is a 1998 savage 896 sc with a 150efi. The problem started this season. At first the motor would not go over 2000 rpm and had no power would not get on plane. I took it to a shop and they determined it was high speed coil on the stator. They replaced that I took it back out and now it will go past 2000 rpm but not go past 3800-4000rpm and it will not get up on plane. It has no power what so ever. In nutrel and reverse in the water it will tach out to 5800 and with the boat out of the water with muffs on it it will tach out in forward, nuetrul, and reverse. But in the water it will not go over 3800-4000 trying to push boat foward or under load. i checked compression the motor has 140 psi compression on all cylinders, new plugs, new water seperator/fuel filter on it. I have fresh gas. And the motor is getteing fuel and has great spark. now i have it back at the shop. They have sent to the ECU to Merc. Everything checked good there. The have swap the vaper thank checked all fuel system items and all check good. They are stumped and I am aslo. I have been with out a boat since the Thursday before Memorial weekend I am missing the whole season. Please help me with any thing you can think this may possibly be.

I'd check the prop for size and pitch (maybe damage). Also check the hub. It sounds like a prop problem to me.

I have already checked everything lower unit wise. The shopthe has to. No damage to prop or hub or anything in the lower unit. It has a 19 pitch prop. So it has always immediately got on plane. Any other suggestions?

Im thinking its transmission related. On land you arent engaging the forward gears to test the motor but once in the water you do. Hence the fine on land crappy on water. Then maybe check your shifter cables if its not the transmission,however thats my bet.

Nevermind reread the post. So I see you say you did run it in gear. So when all else fails start at page 1 and start over. Obviously you are missing something,Im still think tranny or cables. Then a hub issue.

My 90 H.P merc did the same exact thing, I had to take it to a mercury mechanic .The fuel lines had deteirorated due to ETHANOL in the gas. I had to have all of the fuel lines replaced,all three carbs rebuilt ,a new priming bulb ,fuel filter ,plugs and some adjusting of the air and fuel mixture.Now $469.00 later the motor runs great. I never bothered to put ethanol treatment in my boat when I filled up, I make sure to put it in EVERY time now. The mechanic also informed me that by not using some kind of ethanol treatment its not a matter of if you will have motor trouble its when.

I have a major problem with my boat it is a 1998 savage 896 sc with a 150efi. The problem started this season. At first the motor would not go over 2000 rpm and had no power would not get on plane. I took it to a shop and they determined it was high speed coil on the stator. They replaced that I took it back out and now it will go past 2000 rpm but not go past 3800-4000rpm and it will not get up on plane. It has no power what so ever. In nutrel and reverse in the water it will tach out to 5800 and with the boat out of the water with muffs on it it will tach out in forward, nuetrul, and reverse. But in the water it will not go over 3800-4000 trying to push boat foward or under load. i checked compression the motor has 140 psi compression on all cylinders, new plugs, new water seperator/fuel filter on it. I have fresh gas. And the motor is getteing fuel and has great spark. now i have it back at the shop. They have sent to the ECU to Merc. Everything checked good there. The have swap the vaper thank checked all fuel system items and all check good. They are stumped and I am aslo. I have been with out a boat since the Thursday before Memorial weekend I am missing the whole season. Please help me with any thing you can think this may possibly be.

I know this is an older post but did this ever get resolved? I am having the same issues. Please let me know what it was.

Dude, Dude, Dude,
I don't know what shop you are dealing with but it may be time to find a authorized , EXPERIENCED , MERCURY mechanic. As far a guesses, it seemed you were on the right track when you changed coils on the stator since you stated you had an improvement from 2000 RPM to 4000 RPM. I feel your pain , I once missed the spring season (March thru April where I live) with a POS marine dealer. They had to go into the motor three times before it would run right. They later went out of business but not soon enough for me.LOL.best wishes.
Brantley

Latest posts

Back