Nitro's 2010 Z-7

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnie Morgan

Reaction score
Hello

first let me say i'm new to the site and new to nitro boats. Reason i'm writting, is that i'm about to order a new 2010 Z-7 and possibly with the new merc 200 proxs. Now to the meat of the subject i said possibly the reason being, about a 2 years ago I had the chance to go to missouri with a buddy who was running a Z7 w/200 opti to fish table rock and full throtle the chine walk was unbearably wicked never being able to reach the top end speed due to throtling down to control the boat. he told me that it was setup at the bp shop in springfield. A year later I returned to fish again he had told me that he had tried every thing from jack adjustments , different props and even different load arragement but the walk is still there and must say alot tammer but still can be dangerous. We talked to a rep back then with nitro who was at the branson landing and he said that the new RPS hull should eliminate the chine walking. So heres the question has the RPS hull elliminated the Chine Walking? If so great, the 200 ProXs will be my choice. If not well, could this Z7 18'8" boat be over powered with the 200 ProXs? If you can't get the full potential out of the 200 ProXs then why have it? I personaly believe that Nitro made a great mistake in discontinueing the merc 175 proxs as a package, which only by what i have read may just well be the perfect motor for this nitro Z7 bassboat. I'm not looking for blazing speed if i was Nitro would not be my pick lol (allison or Bullet ect..). Now but i do realize that there are times that can arise where speed is important. Like getting off the lake when the weather changes for the worst and to be honest i don't want to be in any boat that chine walks when the wind and waves pick up.So what good is it? If the chine walking issue has not been corrected and the 175 is not offered any longer then I may have to settle with the 150 opti, or step up to the Z8 with the 200 ProXs. No one seems to have any figures on top end speed, hole shot, handeling ect.. Which seems odd to me since the Z8 with a 200 proXs is the standard package and the best sell package Nitro offers for the Z8. so anyone who has figures on the Z8 w/200 proXs would be appriciated as well. yes i know alot of you will say this Z8 w/200 is underpowered and would love to upgrade to a 225 or even the 250 but on my budget it's just not in the cards. thanks for your patience with me.

Donnie

since the 200 pro xs is really just a 200 with carbon fiber reeds and stickers the performance will be the same. the old 200 opti was right at the 10% epa allowed limit for horsepower so it made ~220. The Pro XS will be at that same 10%.

As far as the chinewalk issue, that is every bit as much the driver as it is the setup. I have a 175 XS on mine and there are guys on the BBC site and here with the same setup i have right down to prop and motor height and some cant drive theirs past 60mph because oif the chinewalk where i can drive mine right up to 68 no problem. I also know someone with a 150 that could not get past 55 on his without bad walk but i ran the boat at wide open and 62 just to show him it can be done. Personally i don't think the "rps" transom will effect it much since the bottom looks just like my 08, the only real difference is the knotch in the transom which is 100% out of the water at speed.

I don't think you would be unhappy with either motor if speed is not your concern. Obviously the 200 will be a good deal faster and will have a better holeshot. I agree with you thats its a shame they don't offer the 175XS, its a great combo of performance and economy and it was the last of the true XS motors that actually differed a great deal from thier non XS counterparts.

I have a 08 591 the same as Z7.I would say put a jack plate

on with a 200.As you rais the motor and seat time you will

eliminate chine walk.It just takes time on the water.I run at 73

gps.I beleive the 200 is great on the Z7 you don't always have to

run at wot.Also the BPS in Il has a Z7 with 175.:D

Latest posts

Back