Nitro Z7 Transducer Location

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I mounted this transducer on my 2013 Nitro Z7. It is paired to a Lowrance Elite 9 Chirp. As soon as I take off the screen on the Lowrance goes black and does not mark depth. I know you normally lose depth if going fast but I cant go over 5 mph and this goes bad. Do yall think the mounting is not proper? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 3,447
  • IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 3,797
I can't tell squat from those pics (appear the same to me). Use a photo hosting site like photobucket - makes it MUCH easier to post in full view mode and some flash would help in that dark area/background. Side view is needed too. Near as I can tell from what I see you're getting turbulence interference most likely.

where it's mounted it will never read when on plane . that should be mounted in the hull with a epoxy and right by the drain plug

That has the RPS system on the Nitro, I agree there is interference. I would epoxy to the bottom of the boat by the plug. Fill the holes with silicone and put screws back in where you screwed the transducer to the transom. It will take a little work to put the transducer under the battery trays but it is worth it. Get a good epoxy, loctite has a brand that is for marine use.

I installed a Lowrance Elite 9 Chirp and everything I have read says to mount externally because of the structure scan. Is there any truth to that? That is why I mounted externally.

I mounted mine to the outside bottom of the hull just to the right of the drain hole. It works great. Need to get it as level as you can to make it work right.

Here are pictures of my transducers on my 2013 Z7. The structure scan transducer is mounted up under the first lip. This keeps the transducer tucked away as much as possible to prevent it from hitting objects in the water. This transducer only produces a good picture up to 7-8mph so you will be idling. The skimmer transducer is mounted just to the right on the bottom edge of the boat. The keyword here is skimmer. This transducer needs to mounted so when your boat is on plane, it is skimming across the top of the water. This transducer is a little touchy to get a good picture while on plane. The big thing to remember is to keep transducer level both vertically and horizontally. Also only about half or 1/3 of the transducer will be below the edge of the boat. Once this transducer is mounted, it may take a few tries on the water to get it adjusted correctly. If you are seeing a black picture, that's because the transducer is out of the water while you are on plane and needs to be moved just a little bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 3,236
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 3,093
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 3,196
Make sure the transducer is in the water when on plane or it will loose the picture. It will not read if there is any air between the transducer and the water. Just as Dave has posted it needs to be mounted where the transducer stays in the water while on plane. I have mine mounted inside the hull close to the transom with epoxy but I don't have a Elite 9 Chirp either so what do I know. Good luck with the mounting.

Latest posts

Back