Nitro z6 wont plane

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff wentz

Reaction score
My brand new Nitro Z6 has the Mercury 115, LazerII, 21p prop,,,,, but it doesnt want to come up on plane and the steering wheel pulls to the right extremely hard. What's the problem. I thought this motor would pop this boat up.

I'm a 2011 Z-6 owner who had the same problem. This is a very common complaint with the Z-6 and X-5. There is nothing wrong with your boat or engine.

Basically, the Z-6 does not have the RPS hull and is stern heavy. The 115 Opti is designed for top end performance. These factors lead to a long time to plane. Mine takes a good 8 to 10 seconds with 3 people and a full gear load. Once on plane, it runs well.

You can try redistributing weight around, or by a fin for the outboard. Really, the boat should have been rated to 150HP, and the 115HP rating is more of a pricing sacrifice.

As for the steering to the right. All engines have a natural pull. But the standard model Z-6 pulls VERY hard. This is a flaw of Nitro using a single Rack and Pinion steering system when they should have put in a dual no feedback system to begin with. My boat pulled dangerously hard to the right at plane, and the engine flopped to the right while using the trolling motor. I took it back to Nitro, and said it was unfishable that way since I constantly had to tilt the motor up. They installed a Teleflex No Feedback system and it fixed the problem. The boat is still stiff to steer, but I can take my hands off the wheel and it stays straight on course.

I STRONGLY suggest you take it back to the dealer, and make them fix it. No boat should pull so hard to one side or the other that if you lost your grip on the wheel for a second, you would be in the bank.

Anyone buying a Z-6, I strongly urge you to pony up for the hydrolic steering.

Two things.....first, make sure your Laser 2 has all the vent holes plugged. Second, if equipped with a "trim tab", make sure the trailing edge is skewed to the right when standing from behind. It will help.

I would realy like to know how plugging all the vent holes will help holeshot. :huh:

I had an 08 Z6 with a 115. I found that the 115 needs to spin up some RPM to make power. Proper tuning of the PVS plugs is a key factor in getting a good holeshot. I switched to a 19P Trophy and the holeshot was much better, but I did loose 2 mph going down to the 19P.

Certain motors have more "low end" than others. That is precisely why Merc makes these props with the adjustable "PVS". It allows you to tune the hole-shot. The Opti 115 has a ton of low end. Start with them plugged and then remove one at a time until you are satisfied. You do not have to have them "even"...one in, two in......it's all good.....

....and to add to what Bob said, there are like 4 different size plugs as well. They start with no opening and go to large opening and then you can just remove. My 929 with a 225 efi wanted all the holes solid and shot out of the hole. The plugs allow exhaust gasses to encase the prop and allow for a controlled amount of cavitation to get the prop spinning faster, quicker. Some water test and with an electric drill open the plugs to the optimum size. Just make sure you have the boat loaded the way you fish.

TOXIC

I have a Z7 and had the same problem with the steering. I put on the Hyd sterring and now can steer with one hand. This is the only way to go. Cost about 1500.00 to install.

Good luck

I just repowered my 700lx with that motor and had a very slow plan speed (10+ seconds). I moved the 2 trolling batteries to the front and put a fin on and made a world of difference. I am around 4-6 seconds for getting on plane. very happy with the motor now. It goes around 49-50mph loaded and full tank.

My Z6 jumps up on plane quite well with half tank of gas, last weekend filled gas tank full and it really labored to get up on plane. I wasn't aware of vents on Laser prop? Other issue with steering, I was able to eliminate almost completely with the trim tab adjustment. I was wondering if installing a jack plate would help with hole shot. It unbelievable the difference the weight of 11 to 12 gals of gasoline made.

I just bought a 2011 z6 and i have been reading about the slow plane issue and i have an answer. first my prop is a laser2 22p and i think most z6's come stock with that prop and they come with 3 large plugs on the prop. with just me and my wife in the boat it got on plane great but with 3 people full tank of gas full live well i didnt think it was ever going to get on plane. so i did some reading on the pvs system and when i was at the forrest wood cup in hot springs i talked to the mercury dealer that was there. he told to remove just one of the plugs and leave the other 2 large plugs in. this is what i did. went to the lake after removing the plug with full tank of gas filled live wells. the difference was dramatic. it jump on plane very fast. the rmps's on launch was about 3500 which is right where you need um. also i could here the secound stage injection kick in on the motor. had no blow out , just raw power getting on plane. i was so dissapointed in my z6 before i did this now i love it . it sounds bad a$$ on launch now and will set you back in your seat. so all the talk about the slow plane and does the pvs system work , the answer is yes. with the 115 optimax it needs to turn a little rmps for the launch and removing just one plug and leaving the 2 other large plugs in was perfect for my boat. no more sluggish take off.

Hey guys. I don't want to beat this subject to death - but I thought I'd post my own experience with my new 2011 Nitro Z6. (purchased 8/12/11). I opted for Hydraulic Steering, 75#TM, 3 batteries (of course) and 20A Guest charger (all tackle, rods and gear are in the front lockers with only PFD's, dock bumpers and rope in the back lockers - in other words - light stuff). I've done some on-water testing and found that the PVS plug configuration makes a big difference. With two of the PVS prop plugs being "big holers" (not solid but with the biggest hole in both of them) and one plug completely removed I get a great hole shot. Handling is smooth, straight and true. Bow lift is minimal and though it might sound strange - the bow slams down fast and hard and is a lot of fun to drive - with flat turning and no lean - 52 mph/speedo with the "sweet-spot" trim. With livewells full, and one passenger, it is a bit less of a hole shot but still real nice. (48mph WOT). It's a 17 and half foot - wide beamed boat. I knew there would be trade-offs with fishability vs. performance but I NEVER thought this boat would be as fine (overall) as it is.

This is my opinion and my experience. Your experience may not be the same.

Just thought I'd tell ya'll about my PVS configuration for the Z6.

My Z6 jumps up on plane quite well with half tank of gas, last weekend filled gas tank full and it really labored to get up on plane. I wasn't aware of vents on Laser prop? Other issue with steering, I was able to eliminate almost completely with the trim tab adjustment. I was wondering if installing a jack plate would help with hole shot. It unbelievable the difference the weight of 11 to 12 gals of gasoline made.
Hi Fred, can you please post some pictures with the trim tabs? I am thinking to buy some for my Z6 but I am unsure as to where to mount them? Did they help with the leaning issues and the shot hole? I have a 2008 Z6 and the transom is round'ish...also, what size are your trim tabs? Thank you so much

Latest posts

Back