Nitro Z-6 and salt water

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Hunter

Reaction score
Hi again guys, I have a serious question. My "extended" family (whom I love to the heart of my bottom) wants to do a two week vacation at Kure Beach in NC and they all want me to bring my Z-6 so they can fish and jump off from it, (scratch it, gouge it, stain the carpet) etc. .. in the ocean. I have always taken REALLY good care of the boat in fresh water only. Should I even consider bringing it to the "COAST"? It kinda freaks me out to take the Z any where near salt water. Am I just being paranoid? Or should I just relax and "let it happen". Will the salt water kill my Merc 115 Pro XS?

Gday Gary,
I use mine in the salt every weekend, in fact in been in freshwater 4 times total. Salt is vicious but a garden hose is your friend, just wash it thoroughly, the engine will be fine, flush it after each use. The trailer is the weakest link but again, lots of fresh water through it and particularly the brakes if you have any and you'll be fine.

+1

I fish Louisiana marshes in my tin boat, soon as I pull it out, there's a car wash nearby.

Nope. Would not do it. Your trailer will definately not like it, you wiring is not salt, your TM is not salt, your carpet will really not like it, especially if you have soggy youngens climbing in and out after being in salt and what are you going to do with it, you gonna fish? Saltiest mine will EVER see is the Potomac.

Thanks for confirming my initial reaction to taking the Z to the coast, Scott. I'm going to leave the boat at home in the boat-port and I'll tell my "kids" and grand-kids to go fish off the pier. (or something).

Latest posts

Back