Nitro steering stiff

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam blatt

Reaction score
So my steering has recently became very stiff, mainly when turning one direction. It's not too bad when I'm on plane, but idling is a bit tough. I have the rack and pinion steering and I have a 2008 nitro 750 sc. I've been reading a lot online about taking cables loose and cleaning out all the old nasty grease in the cylinder in front of my mercury. I've never done nothing like this before on my boat, and I'm looking for some help. Is it an easy project, and if so how do I go about doing it? Thanks for input.

check to see if the cylinder that the motor rotates on is ok. there is usually a zerk fitting for grease. You could start there and put new grease. After that check all your steering mechanisms to make sure things look good. I've seen some you tubes videos on replacing and servicing the steering. Just google it. Doesn't look that difficult if you are handy.

I have greased the zerk. Do I keep pumping fresh grease until new grease pushes all old grease out? I also have to turn the steering wheel all the way out so the arm is fully out of the cylinder right?
check to see if the cylinder that the motor rotates on is ok. there is usually a zerk fitting for grease. You could start there and put new grease. After that check all your steering mechanisms to make sure things look good. I've seen some you tubes videos on replacing and servicing the steering. Just google it. Doesn't look that difficult if you are handy.
have

I have greased the zerk. Do I keep pumping fresh grease until new grease pushes all old grease out? I also have to turn the steering wheel all the way out so the arm is fully out of the cylinder right?

Yes, keep pumping until old grease pumps out. Me, I would have the wheel turned fully in, and then fully out then work it back and forth you'll find it'll pull some into the steering assembly at the stern. Look carefully at the rack and pinion, when I took it off my Nitro, I seem to recall it had zerk fitting or two, if not then there will be areas grease should be applied.

Here's what your rack & pinion typically looks like. In the image below #2 is the zerk fitting on that R&P

17385.png

That will grease those gear tracks that rides on #15 gear

BUT, that's the top side and guess where it is in this photo - it will be an absolute PITA to lube in your boat

steer06.jpg

I hated mine so much I tore it out and replaced with with a NFB rotatory system like this. Lots more room in the console now and steering MUCH better. It was a good time to pull the old steering out and clean out the steering tube, polish it and re-lube it.

xtreme_img.jpg

Thanks a lot!! Some really good info, and really like the diagrams. I'll give it a try.
Yes, keep pumping until old grease pumps out. Me, I would have the wheel turned fully in, and then fully out then work it back and forth you'll find it'll pull some into the steering assembly at the stern. Look carefully at the rack and pinion, when I took it off my Nitro, I seem to recall it had zerk fitting or two, if not then there will be areas grease should be applied.

Here's what your rack & pinion typically looks like. In the image below #2 is the zerk fitting on that R&P

17385.png

That will grease those gear tracks that rides on #15 gear

BUT, that's the top side and guess where it is in this photo - it will be an absolute PITA to lube in your boat

steer06.jpg

I hated mine so much I tore it out and replaced with with a NFB rotatory system like this. Lots more room in the console now and steering MUCH better. It was a good time to pull the old steering out and clean out the steering tube, polish it and re-lube it.

xtreme_img.jpg
for th

Latest posts

Back