Nitro Drain Plugs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J T

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2009 Nitro X-5 and am a little unclear as to what drain plugs need to be put in before I put the boat into the water. I noted the main drain plug which is actually a threaded plug that is tethered to the drain hole at the back. The question I have is.... are there more plugs on the boat that need to be put in before I go out? I have been reading the manual and it only references the bilge drain plug at the back but there seems to be many other holes, i.e. in the livewell, in the compartments under the seats, in the cooler box, etc. Do any of these need plugs to prevent water coming into the boat? Sorry for the ignorance, but the last boat I owned was many years ago and it had only one hole!

Thanks

I purchased a mont I used to own a jonboat with only one hole for the drain; Now I own a 640 lx and when I took this boat home and saw all this holes I freak out but there is only one hole that will used a plug and that's the main drain with the threaded (with a oring) plug.;)

JT,The hole with the tethered plug is the only one that should need to be plugged. I would suggest an additional plug for that drain as a backup. I never leave a plug tethered (too easy to lose it).

The livewell (should) drain via a hose attached and not need a plug. If the pump and tubing is in good shape (no leaks), that should take in and drain properly as is without plugs. Some livewells though are set up to be plugged (in livewell). Then when ready to be drained, plug removed and water exits into bilge or via an attached hose. Check to see what yours does.

The compartment under the seat is likely an ice box. It most likely will drain to the bilge. This will need to be expelled via the bilge pump or when you remove the drain plug (tethered one).

Thanks for guidance! Fishing soon....I hope!!!

Do any of you know the size of the drain plug in a 1998 Nitro 700 XS? Mine us missing and I need another one. It appears to measure 3/4" but just can't be sure...the person I bought it from lost te owners manual...go figure right.

Never mind....getting the entire drain replaced.

Im not sure what yours is but my 95 180TF is a 1/2" Iron pipe thread you should be able to just get a brass plug be careful as the threads are plastic so make sure you dont cross thread the plug. btw that should measure 3/4"

Latest posts

Back