Nitro 911CDC in saltwater

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Mathis

Reaction score
I am transfering to Charleston, SC from Missouri with Boeing. Not much saltwater around here. I would like to try fishing the intercostal areas. Any advice on the use and care of my 2001 Nitro 911 and 225 Merc Optimax? I have had the boat for 10 years and have always been happy with it. I am bringing our travel trailer also. I think I will be fishing Marion often, so not inclined to sell it soon. Oh yea, I'll be looking for some tips or fishing buddy. Thanks

Just had a post a week ago about using Tracker Marine Product in salt water look at. Which motor? by Chuck A., 9/24/2012 09:03 ET

I just got back from Florida last Friday. I had the opportunity to talk to the guys working at Beach Marine in Jacksonville. They put bass boats in salt water and do that with their speciality rigged fork lift. The trailer never touches the saltwater. In their opinion the only trailer to use in tidal or ocean enviorment is a galvanized trailer. PERIOD. Rinsing it at a carwash is pointless.

Take advantage of the SEARCH engine function at the top of the Forum lots of anwsers there for the searching and not have to wait for the reply.

fatrap

Fatrap, perhaps someone is giving you false information! I have lived and fished in the Gulf (saltwater) for 50+ years! Launch my boat everytime in salt water and it is aluminum! Your statement about the carwash being pointless is WRONG! I go straight from the boat launch to the carwash EVERYTIME and have never had a problem with any boat trailer I have owned! Granted, it IS a pain in the a$$, but it does work! Just takes a little extra effort! No big deal!

I ran a Nitro 750 in brackish and salt water for four years. The trailer will rust. Galivishied or not. The boat and engine will be fine. I flushed my engine for ten minutes while I unload the boat

I agree 100% with Gary. It doesn't matter whether your boat is fiberglass or aluminum, trailer is painted or galvanized. If you use it in saltwater, wash it when you are done and flush the motor. I have seen galvanized trailers with corroded rims, springs, and holes eaten through because owner never washed it. It was our policy when I was in the Coast Guard, It's our policy in the FD I work for now, and is my personal philosophy with my own boat. Oh and welcome to SC I'm just up the coast from you in Murrells Inlet. Salt marsh and fresh water ICW.

I may not have communicated that I wash and rinse my boat and trailer also, but the trailer frame will rust. I initially tried preserving my Nitro trailer by using WD-40 (water displacement) on all the fasteners and shackles to no avail. The fasteners and shackles will rust on galvanized or aluminum trailers just as well.

Those rusty rims are cold sprayed galvanized

Gary Be it as it may. I've seen many trailers rust out on everything from a pontoon boat to a ski boat. Too many issues with wiring to count. I'm happy you've had good luck due to your dilligence of washing. But I still won't recommend anyone using anything but rust proof materials especially a Tracker product. I talked to the guys who keep my friends son's boat and they confirm. I'll respectfully agree to disagree. You start checking other forums. A boat trailer is a critical componet of your rig and a aluminum or galvenized trailer is the cheapest insurance you can get. Brakes need more care also. It boils down to you pay your nickle you take your chances.:)

fatrap

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/019482.html

What is the differences between galvanized and aluminum trailers?

Corrosive salt-water environments are very hard on a trailer, so most boaters in these areas choose either a galvanized or an aluminum trailer.

A galvanized trailer is basically the same steel-tube construction as our painted trailers, but the frame and component parts are hot-dipped galvanized. Galvanizing is a zinc coating process that makes steel more corrosion-resistant. It is not a permanent solution to the corrosion of steel, but it does slow down the corrosion process. The zinc coating simply serves as a sacrifice, but it will eventually deteriorate. This deterioration is accelerated by exposure to salt-water, high temperature, and high humidity. Fresh-water rinsing will prolong the life of a trailer but it will not entirely stop the corrosion process.

Aluminum trailers have an aluminum frame which is lighter, resulting in better gas mileage. Like steel, aluminum will also degrade over time, but it remains more visually appealing because the corrosion appears as white dust, rather than rust. Aluminum has more flex than steel, so ShoreLand'r aluminum trailers feature galvanized steel parts in key areas to maximize the frame strength.

Your authorized ShoreLand

Let's not confuse "Galvashield" with "Galvanized" with Aluminum. As I list, it is worst to best. Galvashield is just a paint job with rust inhibitor. I've seen galvanized trailers rust but it just takes longer. Aluminum with the proper hardware is the best solution. Also don't dunk that black trolling motor in the salt. There's a reason they make salt versions of them. The only thing you won't have a problem with in salt is your big motor. Just flush it out. Your trailer will suffer but you can slow it down by rinsing. I am seriously considering an aluminum trailer for my next rig. It is much easier to replace components of the trailer, than having the rails rust and replacing the trailer itself. Salt water in carpet is a pain. Salt will do a job on your electrical connections if they are not soldered and wrapped (like true salt water boats). This year the Potomac is very salty. Cripes, Carlos caught a Bluefish in Aquia and they are catching Redfish in DC!! This weekend we watched Blue Crabs in Quantico Creek. That is nothing like the brackish waters I was in down in Florida. I saw some trailers that I wouldn't even hook up to my truck....:eek::lol:

Totally forgot about the troller. My friends son who took me fishing had a white colored salt water MinnKota. When I lived in Florida NO ONE had lectric trolling motors they were a new rage later. Kinda a dates me doesn't it.

Fatrap

I used a regular Minn Kota Maxuum in brackish/salt water with no problem. The key is to lower the motor and thoroughly rinse that bad boy when you

Doug that makes sense no matter where you use your troller. I'll be sure to keep mine up to snuff. Good hint

fatrap

I've lived in Washington and Florida.Even with a galvanized trailer the salt will eat up the spindles,axles,leafsprings,trailer and boat wireing,winch,trailer jack,trolling motor.The salt air is just as bad as the water.

Latest posts

Back