1. Welcome to Nitro & Tracker Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Nitro 482 speed issues

Thread in 'Boat Chat' started by skiele, May 12, 2014.

1. skiele

skiele New Member

Hello everybody, this is my first topic. I recently bought a Nitro 482 (2007 model, single console, with very low hours on its Mercury Optimax 115). And I found out some general problems with the boat, especially the top speed (the boat leaning to the right is a common problem).

Running with low fuel and light tackle, I can't get past 38-39mph at 5500rpm. I trim all the way up until the engine stops (the gauge indicate 1/4) but that's the maximum speed I reach. What can it be? I checked my engine to a official mechanic from mercury and it is perfect, I have a Laser II 21p prop and what I know from people who owned the same rig, it should go around 51-52mph.

Can it be the engine that is mounted too low (I don't have a jackplate, so test it takes time and money).

Thank you all for the help and sorry for my bad english.

2. buzzbuster

buzzbuster Well-Known Member

Question, what is your prop to pad measurement for starters?

3. GHPhotography

GHPhotography Active Member

I have a 2006 Nitro with a 115HP Mercury Optimax and can get right at 54MPH out of it with just me and a 1/2 full tank of gas. I am happy with the speed. That speed is with the motor trimmed up to the half way mark on the gauge.

4. Doubl A

Doubl A New Member

5. Doubl A

Doubl A New Member

Hello, I too have a 2006 Nitro 482 with a 115 Optimax with low hours, but I bought mine new and it too leans to the left when on Plane. I can get mine to 51-52 mph with 3 of us in the boat with a full tank of gas and trimmed half way between 1/4 and 1/2 trim. If I make a slight right turn it planes level but the instant I have to make a turn right or left, the boat sill lean in that direction again. No one has been able to tell me why it leans, not even Bass Pro can give me a straight answer. I still have the boat, still love it, I just deal with it now, but sometimes I can reposition the other 2 guys in the boat and it does somewhat better.