Nitro 188 Sport Trolling Motor Shaft Length

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RafLawMan

Reaction score
New member here and I recently picked up a 2002 Nitro 188 Sport that did not come with the trolling motor. Any other 188 Sport owners out there that could tell me what’s the TM shaft length? I have been trying to find an answer online but can’t, and the boat is currently being serviced. So, I can’t take it out on the water to do measurements. Thank you all in advance.

I have a 2005 189 Sport, can't imagine they are that different. The stock Motorguide that came with mine is a strikingly short 39 inch shaft I read online that the shaft length is measured from the bottom of the trolling motor head to the top of the actual motor housing, in other words just the actual shaft. I just upgraded to a MK Terrova, so new that I haven't mounted it yet. The Terrova is a 45 inch shaft, I guess we will next trip out if I chose correctly

Thank you for the info. I’d think the 188 and 189 are fairly similar. Let me know how that Terrova ends up working out for you.

The original trolling motor on my 2005 188 sport is a Motorguide 6700 pro series 24V still works great.

Attachments

• 20190105_115503.jpg
    20190105_115503.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 55
Looks better since the 115 optimax blew up and I replaced it with this 140 Johnson 2 stroke Looper...it flies
20200126_190017.jpg

Thank you for the info. I’d think the 188 and 189 are fairly similar. Let me know how that Terrova ends up working out for you.
RafLawMan - I don't have my Terrova mounted yet but it looks huge laying next to the old 39" MG and I never had a problem with that being long enough but i also don't fish on too many days where the wind is blowin hard enough to make the TM come out of the water.

I replaced the (too short and underpowered) trolling motor on my 2007 189 Sport with a Motorguide Xi5 24v 80 lb. with a 45" shaft, and couldn't be happier. The decks on these boats are smaller than a typical bass boat, so the shaft does tend to take up the entire side of the front. That head will bounce around when the motor's up and you are going fast on choppy water, so I would suggest the Ram Mount trolling motor bracket. RAM® Trolling Motor Stabilizer with Strap Hose Clamp

The two biggest mistakes I made on buying my 189 was the 115 merc and the 12 volt trolling motor. I still have the Merc, but I upgraded to 24 last year and used the new one for two days, made the world of difference!

Latest posts

Back