Nitro 188 FS vs Tracker V175 Combo

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Swisher

Reaction score
Checking to see what your opinions are on the boats. My goal has been to get a Tracker V175 Combo for quite some time now. I really like the Combo as it fits my fishing needs, but then will also allow me to take my small children and wife out on the lake for some fun. Obvious, the price tag has me saving up.

In the meantime, I have found a very nice used Nitro 188 FS that I like...they are asking $9,300 on it right now, which is doable.

What do you guys think? Anyone on here have experience with the Nitro? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!

No experience with the Nitro, but I purchased the V175 Combo Feb. 2012. Love it. I fish by myself, and boat ride with the wife. Ocean, tidal flats and ICW, this boat has seen all of it and had performed well. I have had small kids onboard and flip up seats in the back worked great. If you plan on fishing more than "Boating" with the family. I would skip the "Combo". I wish I had done that. I could have used the better storage. Nephews only visit so often.

I bought a Nitro 188 Sport new in 2001 for the same reasons you did. It has worked out as I had hoped and has provided great memories for fishing and family recreation (cruising, tubing, skiing, etc).

I have a 115 HP EFI 4 stroke on it which has been flawless for the most part. I wish I had maxed out the HP when I bought it.

My children are now in high school and college so once the college bills subside its going to be time for a pure bass boat.

Paul

I thought I would chime in as I have experience owning both of these boats (almost). I had a Tracker TX-17 that did not have the bells and whistles of the V-75 but is similar and I currently own a 1998 FS-18 which is the Nitro fish and ski from that era. Since you have kids I think you will get the best of both worlds out of the 188. I am not taking price into consideration here and will leave that up to you. I feel I have plenty of room to fish in my boat and the wife and kids (3 of them) love the tubing/sking and jumping off the boat to swim. I believe you would appreciate the extra free-board of the fish and ski as well to handle a little bit bigger water. I made a couple modifications to my deck by putting in a carpeted board over the step through to make it larger and moved my seat post hole back about six inches for more room upfront. The one you are looking at may not need any of that depending on the year. My TX-17 was a great fishing boat but was not very good for family recreation. Seating was an issue and we felt pretty cramped. The 188 is a compromise from a 100% fishing boat but I think the little you lose is worth it. Anyway, my two cents says you go with the fish and ski.

Update: I did not realize the V-175 combo was a deep-V so ignore my free-board comment. I still think you will like the Nitro every bit as much as the 175 if not more. Plus you can afford to get it now, right? That counts for something.:D

I also owned a 188 for a few years and would recommend it on ONE condition. Make sure it has the max horsepower. If it has the 115 that so many were rigged with, I can't recommend it. My main reasons for selling the boat was it could not get on plane with more than 3 people, it could not pull up a single skier, although it was great for kneeboards and tubing, and I always ran it a WOT just to see 40 mph. So any gas savings from having a 4 stroke were lost because I ran it wide open just to get from spot to spot. If it has a 150 or better on it, go for it.

NoCAL

Hmmm, if it has the 115hp maybe take it for a test run to see how it is rigged. Mine has the 115hp and I hop right up on plane with the whole family (5 of us and they are teens now) pretty easily running a 21 pitch prop. The 150 would be nice but I am not complaining too much about my 115.

Latest posts

Back