Nitro 170 vs. 700 lx

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Bertrand

Reaction score
I am looking into a few used 17 footers right now. One is a 1996 170 w/ a 115 Mariner and another is a 1999 700 lx w/ a 120 force. I know these are both basically the same size and very similar boats. But, they seem to have very different looking hulls. I'm fairly new to boating (only had our present boat for just over a year,so if It seems like I'm lost, I probably am.

Would one or the other have a faster or better riding hull? I prefer the looks anf layout of the newer one but it is more expensive. Any suggestions? How fast should these boats be? What do you guys like, or dislike about these boats? Thanks. Josh

Josh -

First, the older hull design was an excellent one. If you bought it, you would be very well satisfied! My first boat was a 1995 Nitro 180 and second was a 1996 Nitro 2000DC - both the same vintage as the one you are looking at.

The newer hull is much improved from the standpoint of speed and ride. You will likely get an extra 5 to 7 mph out of it with the same powerplant. (The 115 and 120 are, for all practical purposes, identical in performance.) Ride is measurable only by your backside!

If it were me making the decision and both boats were in comparable condition, I would go with the Nitro 170 and use the additional $$ for fishing gear or save it for a larger boat in the future - or college! The Nitro 170 would serve you well for many years to come!

Good Luck!

me!

Hopefuly Rich S. will jump in on this one Josh, he had the 170 with a 75 force and now has the 700lx with a 115 Merc.

I've road in both, and granted the 700 Rich has is a Dual Console, it did ride smoother and faster then the 170.

Other things to consider are the price difference, shape of the boat/motor/trailer/electronics..., single/dual console and what you can reasonably afford today and tomorrow. I don't know of any of us on this board who have bought a boat (new or used) and not spent the next year adding $100's on extras, upgrades and changes. So think a little farther out and see which fits your needs, and how long do you figure on keeping the boat.

Trep

Thanks for all of that info. They are both dual consoles and both in very good shape. I know both of the owners well. I will probably be adding my own electronics to the boat however. I'm going to have my next boat for a while until I can either win or afford a newer bigger rig like a 901. I'm just looking for an entry level rig that will be reliable and have some decent performance... The first thing I need to do though is get rid of our current boat. Thanks again for the replies and I'll be happy with either boat I chose. Josh

Josh, the 700 hull is a much better hull. I've owned both, and my butt knows the difference! The 120 Force is a great motor. If you can live with the premixing, I'd take it over the the 115. It's smoother than the 115, but slightly less powerful.

Thanks Rich. I'll take it from someone who has owned both boats. IF I can afford the newer one I'll try and go with that, if not I'll try and get the 170. I'll be happy with either one I purchase I'm sure. Who knows though, I might find a better deal on an even better boat and get that one instead. Time will tell. Thanks. Josh

If I were in your shoes,and I have been before, I would absorb and analyze all the opinions you've gotten here and then look at both boats once more and make what can now be a relatively educated decision. What you do not want to do is base your judgement by any one individuals perspective.And, get any extras you can afford. Once you take your new boat out and you start seeing other bass boats and what some other guys have that you don't you may wish you had bought the lesser expensive boat so you could spend the extra bucks on goodies. In my limited knowledge on Nitro bass boats (I have an NX750) I would assess that your two are for all practical purposes the same. However it is nicer sometimes to have newer as far as the engine and such. I like the oil reservoir and internal oil/gas mixing in my 2002 115 ELPTO. I took about 10 months deciding which boat I wanted because I knew it would be a decision I'd have to live with for atleast a few years. Good luck with which ever you choose. I predict you'll be happy with either. JimN

Hi Josh,
I have a 1994 Nitro 170DC and it is a great boat. It would be a great starter boat for a young man like you. I recommend that you get the 170, then if you still like bass fishing when you are a grown up maybe you can upgrade to a bigger boat. If you need any pointers on how to operate a 170DC, please feel free to message me on this message forum. I have been operating mine about twice a week for the last 16 months so I'm quite experienced. Good luck in your bass boat buying endeavors. And remember what boat means. Bust Out Another Thousand! Haha!

Hi Josh, I had a 1994 170 SC with a 115 Merc. It would do 60 with the aluminum prop and about 56 with the stainless. I don't remember the pitch of either but above 50 it got a little loose in the stern. Not much boat in the water but that said, it was by far the best boat I ever had (I bought it new) and I've had a few. Until recently when I purchased a new Z17 I thought I would never find another boat that I would be 100% happy with and BTW, the old 170 was easy on your butt, and was a very dry ride. I would do it all over again.

I have a 2000 year model 700 lx with a 90hp tracker on it.I really like the boat but my hull really drags to the left on take off and when stopping

My second boat was a 700lx dc with a 115 mercury. I added another battery and upgraded the trolling motor. The stock trolling motor is ok I just wanted a little more power especially with heavy winds. I put a 70# thrust motor guide.

This is a great starter boat, I would recommend it to anyone starting out. I will agree with the other gentleman about it pulls to the left during take off and that’s due to a little torque.
With two guys (250+ range) full tank of gas it would run mid 50’s (gps). The boat is small enough to get into areas that larger boats can’t get into. I fish Lake of the Ozarks and some of the docs are close together it fit very well in between them.

I now have a Z7 and at times I miss the 700.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back