Newbie Looking At 2002 Nitro 185 Sport. Questions.....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Heisler

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm new to this site and I am looking at getting a 2002 Nitro 185 sport fish/ski. It is in good condition and has a tracker 125 OB on it. The owner says there is a few gauges not working and it doesn't have a hour meter. The owner doesn't have time for it anymore and why he is selling it otherwise he doesn't mind keeping it to use this season. The only big thing I can see is it needs a good detail. I'm on the fence about buying it but it's a great price and the customer has sent all pictures asked and even talked over the phone with me on my questions I had. Has anyone had any exsperiance with this type of boat and what should I do to help feel good about pulling the trigger on the deal? Thanks in advance for you help.

I would not want to talk you out of a good boat- but be careful-- 2002 boat in 2020- that's 18 years.
You didn't mention the price, but keep "BOAT" in mind- that is- Break Out Another Thousand! A good deal can really be sour if there are major issues for repair yet unseen. Personally, I would not go that far back in year models. I have bought many used boats, over the years with very good results but I made it a point not to go back more than 6 years in age. Consider a small lighter boat that's newer, for the money, if it can do the job for you. There are a lot of really great used boats on the market all the time but with the extended age- I would be very cautious....
just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

I have a 2007 Nitro fish/ski. I would recommend you take it to a boat mechanic and have the compression checked on the motor, Also, find out how many hours on motor and check the hull thoroughly for cracks. If possible, check maintenance records to make sure that the prior owner has taken care of it.

Latest posts

Back