New Z7 w/ 175 pro-xs best initial setup?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Anthony

Reaction score
I recently ordered a new 2014 Z7. Some of the upgrades I opted for were the 175hp Pro Xs as well as the 6" manual jackplate the factory offers. I have read a bunch of information online and have a slight case of information overload. The boat isn't due to be delivered for a few more weeks. I'm just curious if anyone else has the same configuration and has made changes through trial and error to find the best setup. Not sure if some of the information i've read is accurate or not, but are the prop selection and jackplate setup done at the Nitro factory or does the dealer set that up? Do they all come with the same prop or is that able to be selected at delivery? In any event i was wondering what the best prop would be initially and what the optimal measurement should be as far as the distance from prop to pad with the 6" manual plate. any other advice on initial setup would be appreciated as well.
I'm new to the forum and this is my first new bass boat. I just sold my 86' Ranger 375V that had a Yamaha 150. Excitied to get the new Z7. Thanks in advance, and this forum has been really informative thus far.

welcome to the looney bins aka the forums - but I can't help you much with what you're planning - in fact, none at all.

Ditto: Welcome and it can be the loony bin.
You will have to find the post on fingernail polish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!

cq

Brian,
That's the exact combo that i own and i love it. It should come with a 24" tempest plus on it and with all the fooling around i have done with props(Fury,Trophy etc) i keep going back to the tempest. I found the best motor height with the 6" plate to be the shaft 2 3/4" below the pad, just watch the water pressure very carefully any higher on mine and i have had pressure problems.

Thanks Jim. What was your rpm and speed at wot with that setup? did you have any issues with chine walking?

I can run it right at 6k all the time, loaded or not, passenger or not. speed depends on the load. Alone i can run 67 on the gps will full gear a passenger drops that to 64-65 depending on the person and gear.

Unloaded i can hit the hard limiter at 6400 no problem but i try not to do that. I know there is more speed in this combo but i'm not sure its worth getting. In playing with props i have spun a 26 fury right up to 6k with speeds into the mid 70's but with that prop the holeshot was a a cruel joke. the 2.5l block was never knows for having any bottom end torque and on my boat any prop 25 or bigger shows that. For me a good holeshot combined with a decent top end is muck more important than eeking every last mph out of it is. with the 24 the holeshot is good and top end is fast enough for what i need.

chine walk has never really been an issue for me since mine is setup well and i know how to drive it. one thing to note is i don't run full trim at wide open like some guys think you need to, more like 7/8 of the useable trim tops, my motor runs nice and level( mid section perpendicular to the water) and it does not walk. If i trim it out fully it just blows a big rooster tail since the motor is no longer perpendicular to the water, it walks and the top end is actually slower.

welcome to the site Brian. I hope you have much success with your new boat. I really like my nitro. This season probably next week I'll start to play with my set up and try some different props. This process is trial and error. I know a few friends that have tried many props and are still trying to dial it in. Problem is you need access to all the different prop styles and sizes. You will ultimately find the right set up for you. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back