new to site

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLIPSCOMB

Reaction score
Bought a 2020 Nitro Z18 Pro w/ProXS 175 last October. Upgraded from a Tracker 190. really enjoy the room of the Z18 and the extra hp. I'm getting about 64 gps in cold water, however the boat starts chime waliking around 62 or so. Any suggestions
IMG_4188.jpg

Bought a 2020 Nitro Z18 Pro w/ProXS 175 last October. Upgraded from a Tracker 190. really enjoy the room of the Z18 and the extra hp. I'm getting about 64 gps in cold water, however the boat starts chime waliking around 62 or so. Any suggestionsView attachment 1705
It's a crap shoot buddy. As you can see in my id picture, I have a 2019 Z20 Pro with a 225 ProXS on the back. I also have 2 10' Talon's. I also have chine walk issues that start at 67 - 68 gps speed. 70 on the speedometer. Off the truck it was tested at 78 gps. I watched a lot of youtube videos concerning chine walk. I even contacted KVD as he is a Nitro guy, Kevin said when the chine walk starts you new to twitch the steering wheel first to the right then back to the left until you drive thru it. I haven't got past it yet. I added an Atlas 10" hydraulic jack plate from a 12" manual. I can at least tinker with the up and down. I run the jack plate down until the cavitation plate is inline with the pad, it puts me at about 2" on the plate scale. I also spent a lot of time watching a youtube video about weight balancing. I have move weight around the boat putting heavier equipment towards the rear, my boat is very explosive hole shot, it nearly comes out of the hole on a plane. I also thought the Talon's may be a factor, the weight of them. I took my boat to BPS in Gainesville they had a couple weeks and Tracker had them put the engine back to it's original location with bolt holes. Tracker takes no responsibility in helping with this, they do leave you with the impression that your on your own. Others state it is the tunnel hull characteristic, claiming it is very sensitive to adjustments. Right now I am tinkering with filling the live well whether using it or not, reason being the when I keep my fuel tank fuel 50 gallons it tends to help.
My suggestion from my experience thus far move the weight around a bit to start with. I have considered the lithium batteries but it seems to me that it's the extra weight back there that keeps things more stable.
After you tinker with your weight be sure your cavitation plate is down even with the pad. I then would suggest you tinker with the twitching of the steering wheel, caution do not over correct with the steering wheel, also do not back out of the fuel until you trim back down or it could bust loose on you.
I hope this will help, there doesn't seem to be any real quick fix on this.

Al

As a physics guy I can tell you chine walk isn't caused by this thing or that thing whether you are talking about weight left or right forward or back, nor does speed cause it. The boat is being balanced on a small area called the pad, the faster your boat goes the smaller the area of the pad it is being balanced on as the boat lifts further. Balancing a needle upright on your fingertip is difficult but is not impossible, it is a matter of moving your fingertip just enough to keep the center of mass of the needle directly above your fingertip. What I mostly read here about chine walking is in reality is merely overcorrection when people sense the boat is becoming unbalanced. An overcorrection, followed by another overcorrection to compensate starts a rhythmic cycle that unless the speed is reduced increasing the size of the pad in contact with the water, can become uncontrollable. Just today I was thinking about this while driving a very top-heavy farm truck during harvest. I drive on a lot of uneven gravel roads during the day. The truck tilts left to right thousands of times a mile and my hands gently move opposite of the tilt of my hips which are tilting with the truck. I do this so often I am not conscience of it, that is until I am. At that point I find myself over-thinking it and overcorrecting. What I think would greatly help deal with this situation is practice your way up to speed over a long period of time, when comfortable increase your top speed. Just because your boat can do 70mph, doesn't mean you need to go that fast right away. Remember that faster you are going the faster things can get out of hand. Learn to read the water, the wakes and waves ahead of you, anticipating how they will affect your boat as you cross over them.

Latest posts

Back