New to site / Downrigger

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish PMC

Reaction score
I am new to this site from PA. I own a Tracker Targa V18 (2011), I was wondering if anyone out here ever installed downriggers on there Targa's? I need ot know how to mount them. I am thinking of making a backet that attached to the Versa Trac but want other ideas. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

You and me both would like to know. I have the exact same boat and year. I'm thinking you might have to mount the bracket on top which would mean drilling holes. So far, that's kept me from doing it plus I have a two stroke motor. Not good for trolling. Maybe I could yalk the wife into letting me get a kicker motor?:blink:

I run a 9.9 merc kicker and its worth it. The main is a 150 merc. I would love to figure out a way to do it w/o drilling through the gunnel.

I seen something once where a bench type thing was put into the rear pedestle socket and had a support on each end of the bench thatran to the transom and clamped on with C Clamps making it removeable. I've been thinking of a design to work on my Tundra that won't block the rear compartments. I have a 150, too fast to troll with so I have a four stroke six hp lomg shaft that I remove for other types of fishing it's well worth the money. I got mine at BPS it was a previous year model they put a junction on the gasline so both engines run off my 40 gallon main tank. Iffin you find a plan let me know.

fatrap

Calling Greg Meyer.....He has seen more setups than anyone I know. Might take him a while to answer, it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't sitting on some hard water somewhere:lol:

Does you boat have a rail around the back? If so I made some J - bolts and used treated lumber to mount the down rigger bases and some rod holders on my old Sea Ray.

I'm seriously considering buying a Targa soon and when I looked at one at BassPro, I told the salesman that I wanted to mount downriggers at the corners, he tried really hard to talk me out of that location. He told me that spot would be difficult to get at with the navigation light socket and cleat in the way. He said a better spot would be on the rubber step pad because there would be an easy access underneath it via the rod holder compartment. I'm not so sure I like that spot...on top of the rubber step pad.

I just called a representative form that Cisco link I posted above and he told me all that would be needed to use his system would be the Tracker Versa Track Mount that would slide into the Versa track rail in the boat and a mounting plate attached to the Tracker Versa Track Mount. Then a swivel base compatible with your downrigger could be secured to the mounting plate. I asked him if this system would be strong enough to use 10-12 lb downrigger weights and he told me he's sold many of these with no complaints yet. I think I like it and this system would eliminate the need to drill any holes in the boat and with it the downriggers could be used anywhere. I'm glad I called because I like everything about the Targa except the limited downrigger locations.

My only thought would be if that downrigger ball got hung on a tree and pulled that downy right off the rail.

fatrap

Aw Jeez, just when I had my mind made up, you throw a monkey wrench into it, lol. You make a valid point! I did hang up the ball once on the bottom and although I didn't lose the downrigger, I did bust it up a bit. It was an easy fix however but I'd hate to lose the whole thing or bust up the channel in the boat.

My first thought was to question whether or not that Versa Track channel in the boat would be strong enough to mount a downrigger on using the Cisco system and trolling 10-12 lb balls. The rep I talked to at Cisco assured me it was telling me he's sold many of these systems for Tracker Boats without any complaints. The Better Business Bureau gives this company an A plus rating with no complaints yet. I suppose there'd be a couple of complaints if customers didn't like the system.

I'm also concerned about the gunnel itself being strong enough to mount a downrigger directly to it. I'm wondering if the extreme width of it makes it weaker than a more narrow gunnel? It seemed kinda flimsy to me. Maybe I'll look at Lund again, I really love the 18' Sport Angler. It's about the same money as the Targa with a smaller outboard and without the bells and whistles Tracker offers. My son loves that Targa though.
http://www.bbb.org/cleveland/busine...-fishing-systems-ltd-in-cleveland-oh-92007306

I can't comment much on what happens when they get snagged... I have always been able to pop my baits and get unhooked by backing up.... 1) pops baits 2) free-wheel (almost) tension on ball and rigger line 3) raise other ball 4) back straight back and lower then retrieve ball... worked every time so far

Now, as far as attaching to the boat.... Start out with a Rube Goldberg 2X8 cut to fit on top of the gunwales and four C clmps... put the bases about 8 or so inches inboard on a second 10" or so piece of 2X8 stacked (glued and screwed) on the long 2X8 You now have a "baseline" setup (cheap) to work from as to ow it will fish in your boat... Start out with one rod on each down-rigger and see if you would want the bases higher... farther back, inboard or outboard...

Mine are mounted on the splashwell barricade at gunwale height and I am forced to fight/land all fish on one or the other side. (Not a Targa, 19' Magna with e fully barricaded splashwell running between the two gunwales and deep like a Lund Baron)

My riggers are manual canon 60" arms with "mortar tube" rod holders (2) for each rigger ( I don't like the ones mounted on the riggers...when the SHTF they are a pain to work around) And I have two extra holders so I can move a rod out of my way (mounted on the gunwales about 15-18" toward the bow on each side).

With your Targa I would think height would be the biggest issue (you may want them higher than the gunwales).

I have used D' riggers for everything from Salmon/Trout to Walleyes on Mississpppi/Illinois/Missori River and inland lakes on big water on the Great Lakes. Getting them mounted where they are as convenient to work and comfortable to work is a key component of their success.

Any thing else I cn help with just ask...

Greg as the tech guy that you are you can probably post a couple a pics of your setup so us visual learners(remember most sailors can't read well)I can figure something out for myself. What your talking about sounds a lot like what I'm looking to do only on my Tundra(tuna boat). Last fall I was forced to fish my walleyes in 40 fow in Lake Francis Case the only way to get there was deep jigging(difficult in the 30mph wind)lead core or snap on trolling weights which I found awkward and ending loosing a half dozen of the clips at $4 a pop. The guys with D'riggers were putting fish in the boat. My six horse kicker mounted on the starboard side also presents a problem.

Something removeable yet sturdy would surely be neat to have. Us guys that fish water deeper than what it takes to float a two by four face some unique challenges.

fatrap

05012009 039.jpg

here is the mounting on my magna 19, the rail mounts are custom bent diamond plate aluminum, 90 degree with mounting bolts through the top and side,plus a custom plate and spacer for the swivel mount for the big jons.there is 4 1/4" stainless bolts holding the plate down,2 through the side and 2 through the top.

the cannons are mounted through a pressure treated 2X8 carpet covered with a piece of galvanized screwed to the aluminum with the wood screwed through both, and the basses screwed through all of it with #14 stainless screws.it will stop the boat when the ball gets hung up at 1.5mph, doesnt flex very much,and looks pretty!

oh if youre wondering thats not me, that is the channel cat we got out of oneida on a deep diving crankbait in one of the inlet creeks!

05012009 038.jpg

oh this slows people down coming down the channel out of the creek!

05012009 042.jpg

Jeff's setup is very close to mine....since we have the same boat we both have the splaswell barricade for mounting area... Where he has the folding table we added a full casting deck at that height with a large livewell and storage under...

Ok I'm a sick b@$tard. Remember Navy/sailor. Is the window mannequin anatomically correct in all areas and if so where and how much did it cost?;)

fatrap

were not 100% correct, but she was well endowed!not sure on cost! plus it was funny i thought it was real till we came back up the channel and it was still in the same position! guess it slows down the boats in the channel!!

yea, my beard is pretty long still. trimmed it up got caught in the wheels of my creeper under a truck last month!! want to talk about oww!!!

Latest posts

Back