New to boating

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevelo85

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
After reading countless threads I have determined that this is an amazing group of people that do not judge and are extremely helpful. With that being said I am new to boating as I grew up in Southern Arizona and I now live in East Texas with plenty of lakes around so I found a somewhat cheap used boat. I have a 1986 Fish and Ski with a 1988 Mercury 150hp outboard. So my question is how to I tell what model boat I have? Also the guy I bought something about having to mix oil and gas like I would in my weed whacker. I need help, I am unsure of the exact specifications of my outboard to know if its a 2 stroke or 4 stroke if I need to do a fuel mixture etc.

Attachments

• 20200722_134000.jpg
    20200722_134000.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 19
Welcome to the forum!
Your 1988 Mercury would be a two-stroke engine. It wasn't until the late 90s that 4-stroke outboard engines hit the market.
The fuel oil ratio is typically 50 parts fuel to 1 part oil. Mercury Fuel:Oil. Make sure you use only two stroke oil like Mercury Quicksilver. You can find it at WalMart.
You may consider having a reputable boat mechanic check the engine out, an inspection of general maintenance issues: water pump performance, fuel line condition, fuel filter, gear oil change, etc. Also the trailer tires and wheel bearings.
Vic

Hi everyone,
After reading countless threads I have determined that this is an amazing group of people that do not judge and are extremely helpful. With that being said I am new to boating as I grew up in Southern Arizona and I now live in East Texas with plenty of lakes around so I found a somewhat cheap used boat. I have a 1986 Fish and Ski with a 1988 Mercury 150hp outboard. So my question is how to I tell what model boat I have? Also the guy I bought something about having to mix oil and gas like I would in my weed whacker. I need help, I am unsure of the exact specifications of my outboard to know if its a 2 stroke or 4 stroke if I need to do a fuel mixture etc.
Hi Steve welcome to the forum. Your right great bunch of guys and they come with a lot of knowledge. We've all been through the learning process, we've had ups and downs. The info posted already is valid as well as valuable. Getting your 2 cycle oil mixture correct with your fuel is very important. The advice of taking your boat to your marine service center is great advice. Have it checked out thoroughly before heading to the water. Nothing worse than getting ready to launch and find out this thing isn't going to run, it can wreck your day. Your service mechanic can show you how to mix your 2 cycle oil and fuel. Many engines had a built in blending system, I had one on a Tracker motor, it's called and injection system. The Tracker motor was a generic Mercury. Keep the questions coming Steve someone is bound to have the answer for you

Latest posts

Back