New to bass boats

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Glenn

Reaction score
I just bought my first bass boat: 2001 929 cdx Mercury 225 hp. I have a few questions. I took the engine cowling off and noticed a small oil tank. my question is the boat has a oil tank so is this smaller oil tank a reserve?

How do I fill the livewells?

Thanks

Bert

The small tank on the engine is filled from the oil tank in the rear compartment of the boat. Not a reserve, but part of the system. If you remove the cap on either tank make sure it is back on tight.

For the livewells. You should have a lever that says open and close or something close to that. Should be located near the throttle shift on the driver side of the boat. Proably one for each well. To get water to stay in close it to let it out open it. To get water in, there should be a few switches on the dash. One may say aeration, this should pump water in. Another will be recirculation, this will oxigenate the water in the livewells, not add new. You may also have a pump out. This will pump water out of the livewells. Every system is a little different and couold be labeled slightly different. I had a 2000, 929 and I am trying to do it from memory. Best thing you can do is put the boat in the water and experiment.

Good Luck,

Steve

Outboards are new to me also but it was explained to me yesterday when I took delivery that if the larger oil tank in the boat should run dry, an air pocket will develop in the smaller tank on the engine as the oil is used up. If that happens, when refilling the larger tank, you have to bleed the air out of the smaller tank by means of a valve on top of the smaller tank. So it's probably prudent to keep an eye on the larger tank and never let it run dry. But again, I have a lot to learn, did I understand him correctly?

Here's what my manual says about purging air from the engine mounted oil reservoir tank. (150 Opti)

1. Loosen the vent cap on the engine mounted oil reservoir tank.

2. Start the engine.

3. Operate the engine until all the air has vented out and oil starts to flow out of the

tank.

4. Tighten vent cap.

You are correct. Never fill the small tank on the motor (it's called a "Saddle Tank") by pouring oil in it. It fills by vacuum out of the larger bilge tank. It has to be to the very top of the saddle tank or you will get your low oil alarm. That's how the system is supposed to work. You run out of oil in the bilge tank and the engine draws from the upper saddle tank. As the oil level drops in the saddle tank you low oil alarm sounds with enough left to get you back to the ramp. The alarm will sound as soon as the saddle tank goes down a fraction.

Wow! You guys are amazing! Thanks for the quick and thoughtful replies. Maybe one day I'll be able to help somebody with questions about their Nitro boat.

Latest posts

Back