New Steering Cable

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JERRID TOLLY2

Reaction score
OK Guys, need some quick knowledge. I just put a new teleflex steering cable in my Nitro today. WOW what a difference! (And yes I did it without removing motor or cutting old cable) Now what I need to know is.... The steering almost seems to loose. My concerns are when trailered, motor rolling side to side. Is there any adjustment anywhere to tighten it up a bit?

Use a Transom Saver to hold the motor in-place. I saw a guy last week without one and his motor was swaying back and forth.

NJD

I never trailer without one, my fear was she would bank left and right. The new cable is like having full time power steering.

I assume you mean a slight bank left and right when trailering? To see if it's suppose to turn that easy, call Teleflex--they may have pointers.

NJD

I also use a "bungee" cord thru the spokes of the steering wheel down to somewhere under the seat or around the seat to the latch on the livewell lid.

On the right side of the motor where the steering cable is inserted into the motor linkage is the nut that secures the cable to the motor. Make sure it is properly torqued to the required specifications. Other than that, enjoy your new, improved steering!

The newer style motor supports prevent any movement of the motor. The older style can have some movement side to side. If yours does, use the bungee through the steering wheel trick.

RH

Latest posts

Back