New Nitro Owner

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassn_Man

Reaction score
We have been boaters for many decades, but are now Nitro owners. We picked it up Friday the 13th from the dealer and are working to get everything stowed and understood. I reached out to Nito customer service, trying to find out what each thru-hull served, but not much usable information yet. We went with the smaller Z-17 so we could tow it with a smaller SUV. Was surprised to find the brakes on the trailer increased the towable weight range by a great deal.
Looking forward to learning a lot from this group.

Ed

Welcome to the forum.
Not sure I understand, "...trying to find out what each thru-hull served..." Would clarify a bit?
Vic

Sure! Thanks! I traded in my 2019 Tracker because we could never get it to not leak. Fifteen months of taking it back to the dealer left us with a boat that leaked. It was a nightmare! I am just trying to start out with an understanding of what each thru-hull is connected to. I think the lowest opening with the tethered plug drains the bilge, and the screened opening is the intake for the live well. I have no idea what the upper nor starboard thru-hulls serve.
Thanks for helping!
Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 41
Thanks for the add. Just got a 2012 Z9. Had it serviced last week so alls good and ready to go. Absolutely love it.

Attachments

• 940C53A2-1C5C-41E8-B489-77E3CEF07FE7.jpeg
    940C53A2-1C5C-41E8-B489-77E3CEF07FE7.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 34
Welcome to the board Ed and congrats on the boat!

I've got a z17 but never really questioned fittings. I think the transom lower screened small is live well pump inlet and lower small non screened in drain (you must install manual plug on inside livewell drain unless you got optional valve controls at helm). The two starboard side ones include the bilge and livewell pump out (must pull the red valve out inside livewell to use) and lastly that larger upper transom may be the livewell overflow. I've read complaints that the overflow allows some water to enter the livewell when coming off plane and yes I see that even when I have manual plug installed in live well). I've also read some have a scupper valve installed to prevent the partial filling from the overflow. The partial fill doesn't bother me, even if not using live well I rinse it out at end of trips any way. Since its also not a problem after over 20 trips I'd rather not modify plumbing too.
You should have gotten several of the manual plugs, the same size is also used for cooler drain, I think they gave me 4 or 5. Oh yea, and that lower one with tethered plug is your main plug that must be in!

I haven't done much to mine other than use it as much as I can and oil/lower unit service but happy to try to answer any questions you may have. I came from a 2002 640lx w/90 so this is a step up but still easier to handle than say a z18 or larger. I didn't get hydraulic steering so still getting use to NFB clutch and also my 640lx with 90hp with stainless prop never had any prop slip it was a truly the 'water version of performance go cart'! I don't miss the smaller 640 size or storage but that one handled like no other in many ways.

Again welcome and enjoy!

Bill

Latest posts

Back