New NITRO owner here - 1995 NITRO 190 DC w/150 HP Mercury EFI - questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRo0sTer

Reaction score
Last night while I was on the water I hit some rough water and the motor shut down. Luckily I was only several hundred yards from the ramp. I could not get it to fire back up and trolled back in.

This morning I went out to see if I had fuel pressure. Well, when I turned the key to the on position the first time the Audible alarm sounded and the pump kicked in. My son switched it off and back on. NO - alarm and no fuel pump. Hmmm He turns it off and on the alarm sounds, fires the motor right up. We did this a few times and NO alarm = no pump and no fire. I have a feeling there is a loose connection between the ignition switch, alarm and safety off. Any ideas???

Is it safe to say if I remove the batteries and charger, I can pressure wash this bay? It looks like an old oil tank exploded in the bay years ago and all the grime doesn't make it fun for working in this area.
20200808_122828.jpg

Lastly, the previous owner didn't tell me where the plug for the boat was located. A short search and read the plug was tethered, so I removed the plug between the two screws and it was tethered. My question, what are the other two holes for? I know the covered is for the live well, but what do the other two go to? Is there supposed to be a plug in one of them?
20200807_210346.jpg

I appreciate any input in advance. I'm going crawl under the dash to see if there is a loose wire or connector.

The bottom plug that screws out is the hull drain plug and it should be teathered so that you can leave it unscrewed while trailering for good drainage. Be sure the teather band is in good condition so that you don't lose your plug while its not tight. The far left is a water intake for the livewell. I believe the one on top of the plug is a livewell drain. the other may be another baitwell or livewell? not sure but these would normally be not sealed up. You may have a rotating switch at the helm to open or close drain line.. You can spray clean the back storage bay but be careful not to hit connectors of any kind with high pressure since you could break or otherwise dislodge them. You might just want use a good degrease solution in a spray bottle and then hose out the back after is soakes a few minutes. I cant' offer much about the electrical issue but I learned a simple lesson years ago- Check the obvious stuff first- check your engine battery connection points and wires to be sure nothing is, intermittenly, losing contact. Good luck with getting her back in shape!

First thing this morning I reached up under the dash and made sure the connections were tight. I'm sure one of them slid down onto the spade a little. Took it out for a 3 mile test run and had zero issues.

Latest posts

Back